Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    You DO realize that one of the favorite sources honey bees utilize for minerals is urine don't you??? Where ever livestock such as horses, goat, and cows pee you will find honey bees foraging minerals for brood production. At least in my neck of the woods.
    Very interesting. When you see bees foraging urine, are they also foraging for pollen? Or are they collecting urine minerals during time of pollen dearth?
    I keep some hives on a livestock farm and will pay closer attention this year to this. Thanks for sharing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Marcin View Post
    Very interesting. When you see bees foraging urine, are they also foraging for pollen? Or are they collecting urine minerals during time of pollen dearth?
    I keep some hives on a livestock farm and will pay closer attention this year to this. Thanks for sharing.
    From what I have observed, the bees are foraging for minerals. I notice this when it is dry out and the bees are working on a urine spill or after a rain around salt mineral blocks it is very common to see 100's of bees taking the salt mineral block water back to the hives. These bees are almost never foraging for pollen.

I have never seen bees foraging urine, probably cause I don't live on a farm. I do see them getting the fertilizer (mineral salts) enriched water from potted plants on my back deck. I am sure that the minerals, whatever their source, are consumed by the bees for colony maintenance and do not end up in the honey. Same goes for the chicken blood. Who is feeding pollen sub when the flow is on anyhow? Once the supers go on, all the bees get from me is water, maybe with a little Vitamins and Electrolytes Plus added.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

In one of my yards, the bees were randomly landing on patches of grass and dirt in the neighbor's yard, so he asked me to take a look. I told him that his dog probably peed there and they're collecting the minerals. He said, no, it was me! I guess he liked peeing outside.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

>Well, putting aside definitions here for a moment, would you tell your customers that there is chicken blood in your honey bee food?

I don't think it would be Kosher anymore since blood is not Kosher.

>Hey ya'll. Bees have bees consuming animal blood as part of their diet for thousands of years. Judges 4:18 Look it up.

Judges 4:18: And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him, Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not. And when he had turned in unto her into the tent, she covered him with a mantle.

What am I missing? Maybe you meant 14:8?

Judges 14:8: And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcass of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcass of the lion.

I see nothing about blood, though, but this honey would not be Kosher either because it is in a carcass...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Branman View Post
    In one of my yards, the bees were randomly landing on patches of grass and dirt in the neighbor's yard, so he asked me to take a look. I told him that his dog probably peed there and they're collecting the minerals. He said, no, it was me! I guess he liked peeing outside.
    Maybe he should check his blood sugar.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Well, putting aside definitions here for a moment, would you tell your customers that there is chicken blood in your honey bee food?

I don't think it would be Kosher anymore since blood is not Kosher.

>Hey ya'll. Bees have bees consuming animal blood as part of their diet for thousands of years. Judges 4:18 Look it up.

Judges 4:18: And Jael went out to meet Sisera, and said unto him, Turn in, my lord, turn in to me; fear not. And when he had turned in unto her into the tent, she covered him with a mantle.

What am I missing? Maybe you meant 14:8?

Judges 14:8: And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcass of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcass of the lion.

I see nothing about blood, though, but this honey would not be Kosher either because it is in a carcass...
    Well said Michael, the hive was there but it didn’t say they were eating the blood of the lion. Anyway you can’t seem to talk reason with some of these people. Same reactions on Bee-l. I just gave up. Deb
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey, Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Got my free sample today. Once the girls empty out one of the feeders I will try filling it up with the Hearty Bee. The sample they sent me was maybe 5 lbs. Will post my observations.

MB, I think I had one to many of my favorite evening beverages and got dyslexic for a moment. Seems to be happening more frequently, might not be the beverage. Yes, I meant Judges 14:8.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; Today at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Anyway you can’t seem to talk reason with some of these people. Same reactions on Bee-l. I just gave up. Deb
    Maybe they're the ones speaking reason and it is you who is not listening. Just a thought.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567