Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Purina Hearty Bee Thoughts

The yellow jackets will think they've died and gone to heaven.

P9010014.jpg

P3300300.jpg
    Last edited by Lauri; 12-25-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yes but it doesn't say 80%, is that stated somewhere?
    Oh I see, no I just see spray dried poultry blood

Question - a figure of 80% chicken blood has been mentioned but where is that confirmed by Purina?
    Spray dried poultry blood is 80% protein (per the internet), distillers yeast is 30% protein, the rest is mostly vitamins. To get 56% protein that they claim it would need to be around a 50/50 mix of the two. Ingredients are required to be listed in order of the quantities used.

OK thanks Flower Planter
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Ended up talking to a representative from Purina yesterday in regards to this product. Essentially they just started selling this product in November. I asked about bulk quantities he said its been the #1 issue brought up to him. I guess they're currently working on coming up with a tote full bulk deal but going to be at least a couple months was the impression I got.
    Personally the chicken blood bothers me a lot less than thinking about the contents of hot dogs or bolonie. What I want to know is how well it works. Time will tell the more people use it I picked up a bag to try so I'll give my report.

any one who tried this can you tell me if you got it not to turn to a brick in the hive? i followed the instructions but it turns hard in the hive.... the girls that ate it i do see an improvement in the brood, but lets see if i can get it to not harden..... so all the girls can eat it

Good grief, reading through these posts just gets my blood boiling (no pun intended but it is a good one isn’t it?). I don’t think we can compare bees with people! I have a choice of what to eat, who cares what’s in a hot dog? And who cares if honey bees eat their eggs/brood, that’s what they do because they’re honey bees! WE take care of them, they are managed animals different from regular old livestock. Our honey bees have enough problems without adding this stuff to it; you are not considering this for your bees but for YOU. And Purina is jumping on the bandwagon to make money on beekeepers like you guys. What if it was Monsanto putting this product out? There would be totally different comments and attitude. Someone mentioned the ingredients in cat/dog food, well think about it, you’re putting the remnants of that pet food, into your beehive! something that they CANT use for anything else, and some smarty pants came up with an idea of how to make money on something they used to throw away or burn or whatever they do with crappy old wrung out chicken blood.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey, Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

I have no problem with the ingredient, unless the honey customer does...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    What if it was Monsanto putting this product out? There would be totally different comments and attitude.
    Where can I buy this Monsanto bee food? I support this great company every chance I get.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

I did an informal survey of Sweet Wife and Daughter Child (37yo) and their response was a resounding "YUCK!)
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm

Does the collective Beekeeper opinion look upon dried egg as part of patty recipes negatively?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Does the collective Beekeeper opinion look upon dried egg as part of patty recipes negatively?
    The further we as a people get away from nature, the more we find nature -- to quote Sweet Wife and Daughter Child above -- "Yuck".

I have exactly zero problem with dried chicken blood being the source of protein. But i hunt and grow the majority of the food i put on my table, so i am not the right demographic.
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    ... and some smarty pants came up with an idea of how to make money on something they used to throw away or burn or whatever they do with crappy old wrung out chicken blood
    Yes, the rivers of "crappy old chicken blood" have now run dry thanks to Purina. The chicken blood dumping problem in the midwest has been solved!

>I have exactly zero problem with dried chicken blood being the source of protein. But i hunt and grow the majority of the food i put on my table, so i am not the right demographic.

Same. Come to think of it, the neighbor's dog doesn't have much of a problem eating squirrel blood when he catches one, or its bone marrow, or its brain, or any of the other questionable substances one might find within said squirrel. I just checked, yes, the dog is still alive and healthy
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Beekeeping Facebook Page

My addition of dried powdered egg was put in to boost the vitamins and fats.
    An animal product all the same, just not an animal byproduct

I quit using dried egg yolk when the price went higher than bitcoins. Never saw any difference in results.Its an individual choice. Folks can feed pig brains to their bees for all I care.

Doubt egg would be much of an issue for most since it's a thing the majority eat as a stand alone product, and are fine with.

However as is correctly pointed out egg is an animal product so not natural for bees, just, it doesn't have the same ick factor as blood for the public if they became aware, doubt it would make the headlines.

Anyhow, looks like there's enough folks in favor to make this happen, all the best for your public relations when word gets out.

Pretty sure they didn't throw it away. Every waste product from the processing plant is repurposed into pet food, livestock feed and fertilizer. If the tag says beef or chicken by-products it's rendered blood meal or feather meal.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm

Over the years I have wondered why North American (Canadian included) beekeepers are paid less for their honey than beekeepers in any other western country.

Oversupply perhaps? Well if the public don't eat much, there will be oversupply.

For some years there has been negative commentary in the public domain about the activities of commercial beekeepers, sections of the green movement have run a successful campaign to paint modern beekeeping practises as evil, and honey tainted by association. This misinformation campaign, like any good misinformation campaign, includes elements of truth, but they are exaggerated and added to. The misinformation campaign has been targeted at North American beekeepers, and the public in other countries who believe this stuff, generally think it applies only to North America.

Adding blood to bee feed can only in the end, provide fodder to dig this hole deeper, lower public perception of how bees are farmed, and what honey is, even more. But hey, for very little gain, or even no gain, some people want to do it anyway. All I can say is, I just don't get that, but, it's your call. Rather your country, than mine.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Dried egg is nothing like chicken blood Ian.

Doubt egg would be much of an issue for most since it's a thing the majority eat as a stand alone product, and are fine with.

However as is correctly pointed out egg is an animal product so not natural for bees, just, it doesn't have the same ick factor as blood for the public if they became aware, doubt it would make the headlines.

Anyhow, looks like there's enough folks in favor to make this happen, all the best for your public relations when word gets out.
    Well said Oldtimer.

Quote Originally Posted by herbhome View Post
    Pretty sure they didn't throw it away. Every waste product from the processing plant is repurposed into pet food, livestock feed and fertilizer. If the tag says beef or chicken by-products it's rendered blood meal or feather meal.
    AND now they add honey bee food to that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast