Single Brood Chambers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Single Brood Chambers

Ian
    Though you have a wonderful you tube spot, I spend more time on here. I request that when you get your vidio up that you post a link in a thread like this cause I would love to see it but admit also that I only go from here or find by accident if on you tube. Your choice but I really like your vidios but don't subscribe to stuff cause I don't check email or anything like that.

If you post a link where I can find it, I will be the first one to watch. Like I said, I have liked all of yours I have seen.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Stan The Bee Man View Post
    Swarm Management is easy. With single brood chambers even easier. You just have to be in your boxes every 10 days. Some only check their boxes every 6 months. What ever ones goals are. We all have different goals. Its all management.
    If you inspect every 10 days, you will miss the swarm. Queen cells get capped after 8 days after which the queen will swarm with half of the hive. You need to inspect every 5 days to catch the QC in time to split the hive.

Juhani

either way not good idea if you have more than about 10 hives
    I have more but set the limit on 30. Shift the frames in the original arrangement to a second deep when filled, yes. But only once in season.
    Since I can move around my hives with a wheelbarrow itīs easy work, done in 10 minutes after caging the queen.

Ian

Ian cant wait to see this I have 10 single deeps that I am trying to take through winter I have been trying to find everything I can about single
    The trick about managing singles is not to restrict your thought toward single box’s, just manage around the single box as the base unit
    Yes I would like to learn more about singles to be managed too.

Squarepeg

by mid spring the broodnest is usually all the way up into the supers and the deep becomes mostly empty comb. at that point i'll move the queen down into the deep below an excluder and make her start a whole new broodnest.
    Interesting! In my two deep arrangement the queens moved up but down again and filled both boxes. I have never tested when they would throw a swarm. Once I had two queens in a 2 deep arrangement, that was in late summer. One layed on top the other on bottom. My only natural swarm was a single deep which I had made queenless and which was too strong, so they throwed a swarm with virgin.

If you inspect every 10 days, you will miss the swarm. Queen cells get capped after 8 days after which the queen will swarm with half of the hive. You need to inspect every 5 days to catch the QC in time to split the hive.
    My former mentor checked every weekend on saturday. This worked. All beekeepers here do swarm prevention like that. Often they overlook a cell because itīs time consuming work and the hives burst with bees.
    Iīve had queen cells buried horizontally in the comb at the bottom. Most of such are not detected.
    zone 8a, sc, dadant square, wax comb, tf, 4 years beekeeping
    www.vivabiene.de

Videos of Ian's presentations at BCHPA were posted a few days ago
    https://vimeo.com/user40390212
    "management decisions based upon hard data.The easiest person in the world to fool is oneself"- Randy Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Videos of Ian's presentations at BCHPA were posted a few days ago
    https://vimeo.com/user40390212
    Well the presentation is pretty rookie but the content is solid

Good presentations, Ian, plus really like your other you tube videos, all really interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12