Cleaning out old boxes and frames

Default Cleaning out old boxes and frames

So, I got a deal on some wax moth eaten used equipment, allegedly from a sick beekeeper who stopped taking care of them and they eventually all died out. Some stuff is only a year or two old, and other stuff is only good for swarm traps.

Dangers aside...I have a few questions.

Would soaking frames and foundation in strong bleach water for ten minutes more or less make them safe to use? Will bleach damage plastic foundation?

Also regarding scorching boxes...I have a ton of them...could I stack them up and build a paper fire inside them to sterilize them? Should I wet down the boxes first? Do I need to scorch the outsides? Will repainting take care of it?

What about steaming? Irradiating them? Anyone know of a Georgia facility that can do it? Is it crazy expensive?

Any tips? So far this is incredibly slow going...spent a few hours and so far I've scraped and cleaned 8 boxes.

Thank you guys so much in advance!
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cleaning out old boxes and frames

I also thought about renting an industrial wallpaper steamer and rigging up something to steam a stack of boxes. Think it would get hot enough to sterilize? It would at least kill all the large spiders I keep finding.

My opinion is that your greatest risk is AFB spores. I do not think that bleach will take care of that. I found this on a PA Dept of Ag website pertaining to AFB:

"The frames and combs should be burned in a pit and the ashes covered. The heavy woodenware (supers, tops and bottoms, etc)
    may be sterilized by scraping them clean (the scrapings should be burned) and scorching the inside surfaces.
    The scorching can be done with a propane torch; particular attention must be paid to cracks and corners. If large
    quantities of supers are to be scorched they may be stacked and painted inside with kerosene and lit. Keep a
    cover handy to extinguish the flames when the wood is sufficiently scorched. To sterilize large quantities of
    equipment, it might be worthwhile to set up a barrel with a boiling lye solution of 1 lb. of lye to 10 gallons of
    water. The woodenware should be immersed in the solution and boiled 5 to 10 minutes or until clean. Frames
    may also be sterilized in this manner. Lye is a very caustic solution; use extreme care in this process."

I have also read that the combs can be sterilized by irradiation.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Would be using the equipment by itself only in specific yards as a permanent quarantine work? How long without symptoms would I have to wait to deem it safe?

You can clean them if you are willing to risk it. As for the method, Spur9 provides a good recommendation. As well, irradiation would work however it is very expensive. You could also consider a wax impregnation for the supers. As for frames...IMHO, its not worth the trouble. The bleach will certainly impact the flexibility of the plastic frames, lye will simply eat them. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.