How often can you treat with Apivar?
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Lynn Haven, Bay County, Florida, USA
    Posts
    33

    Default How often can you treat with Apivar?

    The recommendations on treating with Apivar state to treat in the spring before honey supers go on and again in the fall after honey supers come off. If there is a need to treat again and harvesting honey is not a consideration, after Apivar strips are removed from the brood chamber how long do you have to wait before you can reapply the Apivar strips?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Turnbow Hollow, Tennessee
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: How often can you treat with Apivar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grady Stanley View Post
    The recommendations on treating with Apivar state to treat in the spring before honey supers go on and again in the fall after honey supers come off. If there is a need to treat again and harvesting honey is not a consideration, after Apivar strips are removed from the brood chamber how long do you have to wait before you can reapply the Apivar strips?
    I would strongly advise against using repeated back to back mite treatments. Although the makers of Apivar claim no mite resistance, it would be best NOT to manage FOR it by not rotating mite treatments.

    For varroa mite treatment during broodless stages, oxalic acid vaporization works very well. It also would be a great rotation treatment to help prevent your varroa mites from building up any potential resistance to amitraz.

    In direct answer to your questions, yes, you can use Apivar any time you hive a varroa mite threshold encroachment to address and treat. Theoretically, you could just use Apivar as your only varroa mite treatment BUT I would NOT advise doing so. A good varroa mite IPM requires rotating treatments and employing other measures to reduce or impede varroa mite growth.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Lynn Haven, Bay County, Florida, USA
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: How often can you treat with Apivar?

    Thanks for the feedback. I do understand the problem of building resistance to treatments and don't want to contribute to that. I do want to be able to use oxalic acid vaporization but just haven't had the extra $$ for the equipment yet.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Turnbow Hollow, Tennessee
    Posts
    237

    Default Re: How often can you treat with Apivar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grady Stanley View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I do understand the problem of building resistance to treatments and don't want to contribute to that. I do want to be able to use oxalic acid vaporization but just haven't had the extra $$ for the equipment yet.
    I see that you are in Florida. You could do an oxalic acid dribble on a warm day. The bees could probably use a little sugar syrup any way. This is also an effective mite treatment. You could also go with a more natural type treatment using Apilife Var. It is not as effective at killing the mites as some of the hard chemical treatments are but it does work well. Hopguard II is also a good alternative. Just bear in mind that some of these types of treatments require going back inside the hive 3 weeks in a row.

  6. #5

    Default Re: How often can you treat with Apivar?

    Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    I see that you are in Florida. You could do an oxalic acid dribble on a warm day. The bees could probably use a little sugar syrup any way. This is also an effective mite treatment.
    Keep in mind that in Florida many bee colonies continue to produce brood year round and an oxalic acid dribble might not be the best treatment under those conditions.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •