Simple Harmony Farms uncapper

Default Simple Harmony Farms uncapper

Has anyone tried this uncapper. The video looks good but all the frames they run through look like they are all fully drawn nice and even. Let me know how you like it

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Simple Harmony Farms uncapper

http://www.simpleharmonyfarms.com/si...-uncapper.html

For those who aren't previously aware.

Anyone know the price?
    Dan Boylan, When in doubt "It's mites".

I just received a reply from Deborah Gouedy.

The uncapper is $395 and ships USPS flat rate of $18.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Basically the stripped down version of this: https://www.blueskybeesupply.com/leg...apper-lgtt-uc/

We have an uncapper that works on a similar principle, the lega tabletop uncapper. It has a bit more framework, and a system for pushing the frames thru the uncapping rollers, which are nylon in our case. We've only used it a couple time since we got it, but I have learned enough to know the idiosyncracies of this style of uncapper where the frame is pushed thru two slit rollers to cut slits in the cappings.

- Frames not fully drawn out, ie shallow comb, will require some hand 'fix up' before going to the extractor.

- You really want the ability to set the rollers at different spacings, which ours has. If sending thru frames from boxes with 9 frame spacing, you want the rollers a bit wider than when sending thru frames from boxes with 10 frame spacing.

I think any time you see a setup where there isn't some space on a rack 'after the uncapper, before the extractor' then handling frames that need a little 'touch up' will be a problem, as there will always be occaisional frames that need hand touch up after the uncapper, and that applies to all styles of automated or semi-automated uncapping setups. We keep the capping scratcher handy for touching up some frames after they go thru the uncapper. I have friends with a chain uncapper, they still need to do occaisional touch ups on frames where the comb wasn't fully drawn out.

the other issue, with this style of uncapper that runs the frame between rollers to cut slits, you MUST be working with warm equipment. If you have stone cold frames, it will tear the wax. Last year we did a few boxes in November because we got busy and didn't get around to extracting the last few boxes for a while. Those boxes had been sitting in the garage for 3 months and it was fairly cool at the time. We got a significant amount of torn comb pushing it thru the rollers, which does not happen when doing frames fresh out of the hive that were stored for a couple days in nice warm bordering on hot weather. for us that wont be an issue going forward, we built our honey shed this fall, and it includes a small insulated warm room where we can store enough boxes to keep the extractor busy for a day. No more trying to extract cold honey for us.

We have our setup based on the 18 frame extractor, with a rack between the uncapper and extractor. While a load is spinning in the extractor we can uncap the next load. Any that need touching up by hand can be done there, it doesn't slow the process down at all because we can do it while the extractor is spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by texanbelchers View Post
    Basically the stripped down version of this: https://www.blueskybeesupply.com/leg...apper-lgtt-uc/
    That's the one we have.

Here is a thread where it was discussed earlier this summer...

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...imple+uncapper

Thanks everyone for the info. I've got to do something before spring,uncapping is my bottleneck now.

I would be VERY interested to hear someone's actual review of the product. If it works well, it could be the solution I'm looking for. If not, it would be a $400 loss.

That's exactly how I feel Specialkayme, if it works that would be great. But I don't want to throw $400 away.

One concern that I have is if you have a frame with the cells/cappings not drawn wider than the end bars. If the rollers rest against the end bars, it does not look like the cappings will be sliced. I am running 9 frames in a 10 frame box, but I still have some frames that are not "plump".
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Spur9 - I'm operating at a disadvantage by only looking at pictures and the video, but if you look closely the rollers have sufficient space at the ends to fit the end bars, so the cutters would go deeper than the actual end bars. So you shouldn't have that problem. Watching the video closely confirms that.

The spacing and design of the cutters appears substantially similar to the brushy mountain Sideline Uncapper (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...liner-Uncapper). Only at 1/4th the price.

That one would suit me just fine if it in fact performs as shown. As SK said "If it works well, it could be the solution I'm looking for. If not, it would be a $400 loss."

Ok, who is going to be the first to buy and let the rest of us know?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Even if I was the "guinea pig" and bought it now, I wouldn't get a chance to try it out till next June. So no help now