Does OAV treatment have residual effect? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The weather isn't cooperating as planned so I didn't go into the hive and install the spacer to vape from the inside. As posted above, the vapor did somewhat recrystallize on the screen. The first two pics are of the brick that was under the vaporizer and of the bottom screen.

I was expecting some since it was mentioned but still disappointed. The second set of pics is where I ran a test on an empty hive and am now less disappointed as I see how much vapor actually did rise through the screen for a good part of the 2 1/2 minutes. I notice though less crystals on the screen and no crystals on the "test brick" than on the actual treated hive. I wonder why that is?
    Last edited by Hedghawg; 11-15-2017 at 04:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Does OAV treatment have residual effect?

It is because the bees will distribute the oa crystals through out the
    hive when they started fanning while the oav unit is on. The fanning action is
    enough to disperse the oac to cover more bees and hive parts. The testing has no
    fanning so no air movement to distribute the crystals to cover it more. If you have you tube
    subscription I can link you to the oav gadget experiment on you tube that you can see the oa vapor
    with fanning bees almost like a cyclone action. Then we can talk about what the bees and oav are
    doing in the vid with a timer to track it.
    Last edited by beepro; 11-19-2017 at 12:03 AM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

bee pro would love to see that! Can you post the link?
    Zone 6b: 18 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    It is because the bees will distribute the oa crystals through out the
    hive when they started fanning while the oav unit is on. The fanning action is
    enough to disperse the oac to cover more bees and hive parts. The testing has no
    fanning so no air movement to distribute the crystals to cover it more. If you have you tube
    subscription I can link you to the oav gadget experiment on you tube that you can see the oa vapor
    with fanning bees almost like a cyclone action.
    I would like to see that also, I'm surprised I haven't as I've been power watching beekeeping youtube videos lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedghawg View Post
    I would like to see that also, I'm surprised I haven't as I've been power watching beekeeping youtube videos lately.
    If you do find his video (and it's the one he previously had) you can't see ANYTHING happening.......a joke....
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1362...?ref=bookmarks
    Take a look at this test guys.
    Johno

Sorry guys that link wont work, if you go to facebook and look for Northern Neck Beekeepers you will find that video on the site.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    ....can't see ANYTHING happening.......a joke....
    That is because I do night time beekeeping all along. Not a joke. You just see smokes because you don't
    understand my invention or what's going on while watching the vid before. Because I have not yet explain it here. At the
    minimum I can explain the oav and bees interaction because I was there observing the oav burning until completion.

Don't worry snl, the bee community is not yet ready for this. I have since step away from
    this gadget and have invented a better and more efficient to install unit. Not to mention a lot safer for
    the beekeeper too. Thanks you for triggering my inventive side again. Just follow Edison's attitudes when it comes to inventing things. And never give up! Let me see if I can find the vid link again.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedghawg View Post
    The first two pics are of the brick that was under the vaporizer and of the bottom screen.
    Referring to post #21.
    I've always treated my hives successfully from under the screened bottom and sometimes will find a little residue as seen in your 3rd pic, but the amount of crystals left on the brick and screen in the 1st and 2nd pics seems to be much more then unusual.

Anyone have any ideas?
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Referring to post #21

Anyone have any ideas?
    What was the temperature at the time?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

The temperature was around 50

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Referring to post #21.
    I've always treated my hives successfully from under the screened bottom and sometimes will find a little residue as seen in your 3rd pic, but the amount of crystals left on the brick and screen in the 1st and 2nd pics seems to be much more then unusual.

Anyone have any ideas?
    I cannot remember which thread but somebody mentioned that when OA crystals are too wet, the excess water may boil and spill over.

I considered the wet acid thought but my test vape under the same conditions turned out pretty well. In any case the mite count was not impressive (5 or 6 a day) and the only other thing I've done is the paper towel method back in mid September. That either worked real well or, I have a colony that is impervious to mites or, it could be that the ova treatment last week was a flop. I treated again today above the screen with a 2" shim under the brood box, we'll see in the next couple days.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12