Video: The Cell Builder explained

Default Video: The Cell Builder explained

High everyone, i just wanted to share this video i made on how i raise my queens here in Brittany France. Not telling anyone how they should or shouldn't raise their queens, because everyone should try different methods until they find a method that works for them.
    This Method is based of course on Mike Palmers 10 + 10 method. I would hope its a good learning tool for anyone learning cell building, as i have tried to pack in as much detail as possible.
    There is obviously many ways to raise excellent queens and they all basically revolve around making a colony "hopelessly queen less" in order to utilise the emergency response, combined with the swarming impulse, which Mikes method personifies excellently.
    Personally, I do change things a bit, as i remove started cells after 24 hours and use finishers for my cells, leaving the starter to run another 2 times before i return the queen right section and use it as a finisher on day 5 to 6 after the last round are capped. (Similar thing to a "swarm box starter" and "queen right finisher" but in a different format with the sustainability element brought in)
    If your new to cell building, its a terrific way to learn the ins and outs of the entire process. You will get excellent cells, still packed full of royal jelly on the day of hatching.
    Have a go learn a huge amount in the process.

https://youtu.be/TW_FJTnhilg
    www.beesinbrittany.blogspot.com
    Instagram : Plenty Of honey.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Video: The Cell Builder explained

What an excellent video! Thank you.

I have always followed Palmer's cell builder queen rearing method pretty close. It just makes a lot of sense. I have not done a lot of research on using finishers. I can imagine you are using your starter to start a lot more cells but what would the advantage be over just setting up 3 starter/finisher combos. You still need strong finishers right?

(I haven't watched your video yet... maybe you answered all my questions in your video)

Thank you!! Great film!!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

thank you for taking the time to make this video, your love of the bees is evident!

Very well done.
    I have book marked it for future reference.
    Thank You
    Zone 6b 1400'

Thanks for the video post. It is very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty of honey View Post
    This Method is based of course on Mike Palmers 10 + 10 method.
    It is actually the method what Brother Adam used and he described it in his book "Meine Betriebsweise", published 1978.
    TF since 2008, max 1 nuc/hive, no swarm collecting, www.buckfast.fi, YouTube juhanilunden

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    It is actually the method what Brother Adam used and he described it in his book "Meine Betriebsweise", published 1978.
    Yep, that's where I got it.

Good video. It's nice to see this through a different set of eyes so to speak.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Very nice video. I have one question for you, Juhani and Mike. What do you think is the advantage of using separate starter/ finisher hives vs the cloake board method? I have experimented with both and would like to hear your feelings on the different methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    Very nice video. I have one question for you, Juhani and Mike. What do you think is the advantage of using separate starter/ finisher hives vs the cloake board method? I have experimented with both and would like to hear your feelings on the different methods.
    Separate starters (3kg) and finishers were used when my need for queens was bigger than today. (+200 queens)

The bees in starters ended up in Apidea mating nucs. Today I use inseminations and overwintered Mini-Plus hives for new queens.

Both work well. Although starters are said to be bomb proof, they can fail, too, if a gueen is accidently brushed in.
    Last edited by Juhani Lunden; 11-14-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    TF since 2008, max 1 nuc/hive, no swarm collecting, www.buckfast.fi, YouTube juhanilunden

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Separate starters (3kg) and finishers were used when my need for queens was bigger than today. (+200 queens)

The bees in starters ended up in Apidea mating nucs. Today I use inseminations and overwintered Mini-Plus hives for new queens.

Both work well. Although starters are said to be bomb proof, they can fail, too, if a gueen is accidently brushed in.
    Thank you for your perspective.
    This was my first year experimenting with a separate starter/ finisher hive. I have a few Cloake boards for my operation and like the results of using that method. I will try both again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    Thank you for your perspective.
    This was my first year experimenting with a separate starter/ finisher hive.
    My belief is that separate starter/ finisher is more geared for those who want maximum throughput. If you're not planning to make lots of cells for an extended duration, then separate starter/ finisher may be overkill for you. Further, I suspect that a combined starter/ finisher (based on the above system) will likely yield better cells than the separate starter/ finisher. No quite sure how you could improve upon the conditions (as laid out in this video) to start and finish cells . Perhaps those making 1000+ cells per year would feel differently.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    My belief is that separate starter/ finisher is more geared for those who want maximum throughput. If you're not planning to make lots of cells for an extended duration, then separate starter/ finisher may be overkill for you. Further, I suspect that a combined starter/ finisher (based on the above system) will likely yield better cells than the separate starter/ finisher. No quite sure how you could improve upon the conditions (as laid out in this video) to start and finish cells . Perhaps those making 1000+ cells per year would feel differently.
    Thanks for the explanation. This upcoming season I am going to try and up my production. I will try both methods again and see which performs better for me. For reference, I am only planning on approximately 100- 200 Queens both for my operation as well as selling some.

Great video

is this book Meine Betriebsweise
    sold translated?

Tom
    Tater Road Apiary