Prolific blooms in this area -- what is it and is it of any benefit to my bees?

Default Prolific blooms in this area -- what is it and is it of any benefit to my bees?

Noticed a lot of other pollinators on it but not any honeybees. The blooms progress to really fluffy seed pods like cottonwood.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Prolific blooms in this area -- what is it and is it of any benefit to my bees?

I i.d.'d something very similar if not identical several weeks ago and at that time it was done flowering, but I am quite a ways north of you. I believe it is groundsel. Maybe research groundsel to double check and be sure.

Default Re: Prolific blooms in this area -- what is it and is it of any benefit to my bees?

You must be on the coast. We have this a lot in Smithfield. It IS Groundsel. And the honeybees should be all over it, unless they have something else in bloom that they prefer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baccharis_halimifolia

Thanks for the replies. I agree it is Groundsel. I have never heard of it before but it is everywhere here. This is my first year with bees (not counting a long time ago in a universe far away, that is), and it is amazing how much they have opened my eyes to things that have always been there but never noticed. And, yes, I am near the coast. I will look a little closer for bees on it.