I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your thoughts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your thoughts.

Hello Everyone!

My wife signed us up at the end of November to teach our 4-H group here in Pahrump, NV. about bees. I figured we'd do a couple different things with the help of our teen age daughters.

I have an observation hive that I'll set up (the one from Mannlake).

Beeswax sheets for rolling candles.

I have a super of honey in the freezer right now that the kids can uncap using a uncapping scratcher or punch and then they can take turns spinning out with the extractor.

A dipping vat area so the kids can make dipped tapers.

I also have a super of cut comb so the kids will have honeycomb.

I'm also planning on setting up a hive from the bottom board up including a queen excluder and a honey super with tags pinned to each part telling them what each piece is called.

I was also thinking of having a display set up with a face cut-out so the kids can take pictures of themselves as a honeybee with the year and 4-H on it. I was also kicking around the idea of maybe some facts about bees being painted on it as well. I thought I could use a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

I'm really hoping to get ideas and suggestions from everyone' especially from folks who have experience doing something like this before.

Thank You!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your though

This sounds very cool! Wife and I have done a few of these types of presentations.

How many do you expect? By the looks of it, you've got plenty of activities planned to give a pretty well rounded intro to bees and their products.....You don't want to throw 'too much' info at them, keep it fun and you'll keep them marveled and interested.

I'd maybe add a little info on the importance of all pollinators?

Good Luck!

Default Re: I'm teaching a 4-H group about beekeeping and would really appreciate your though

Sounds like a small fair lol
    - - Michael Joel
    1 John 3:3-4, Matthew 5:19, Matthew 5:18, James 2:17-20, 1 John 5:2-3

Wow! Can I come?
    Call me Lee. or Grin..., everyone else does.

You just made me feel like a slacker. I have to up my game.

Well you just burst my bubble. I used to think of myself as the go the extra mile dad in those type of situations. Clearly I'm not. But seriously it sounds like you have great ideas there and the kids will learn a lot and have fun too. J

beesohappy

I'm not trying to discourage you but how much time are you allowing/have for all of these activities?
    I like the OV hive and the tagged hive ideas.

I will be semi retiring in March and one of the things I would like to do is go to our local schools and do a presentation about Honey Bees & Bee Keeping so I am very interested in other replies here.

I have a science teacher that wants to bring a class to a bee yard but that might be a little risky.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Read where one presenter glued threads to the thorax of a few drones and pulled them out during the presentation. Once the initial shock of "loose bee" wore off they were a hit with the kids.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

These virtual hives work really well as teaching aids.
    Don't know if you can get them in the US?
    https://www.thorne.co.uk/books-educa.../training-aids

beesohappy: Is this spanning more than one day? How many hours/days? Sounds like a lot of interesting/fun stuff but can it all be used within the amount of time?
    - - Michael Joel

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    beesohappy: Is this spanning more than one day? How many hours/days? Sounds like a lot of interesting/fun stuff but can it all be used within the amount of time?
    The troop leader likes it if the presentations can run between 2-4 hours.

Those are awesome! I really like the CD ROM here: https://www.thorne.co.uk/books-educa...roduct_id=6833

Maybe a dumb question here but do you think it's in English?

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    Read where one presenter glued threads to the thorax of a few drones and pulled them out during the presentation. Once the initial shock of "loose bee" wore off they were a hit with the kids.
    That's awesome!!! The very first rule I taught my kids was if the eyes touch then they could touch. My daughter suggested having drones for people to hold but I'm not sure if the hive will have drones. If they do then I'll have to give that a try.

Are you going to have time for all that?
    - - Michael Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Owl Lane Bees View Post
    beesohappy

I'm not trying to discourage you but how much time are you allowing/have for all of these activities?
    I like the OV hive and the tagged hive ideas.

I will be semi retiring in March and one of the things I would like to do is go to our local schools and do a presentation about Honey Bees & Bee Keeping so I am very interested in other replies here.

I have a science teacher that wants to bring a class to a bee yard but that might be a little risky.
    That was my concern to never having done something like this.

When I was a kid I went on a field trip to the old Forni Winery where Hurd Beeswax Candles in Saint Helena CA. made candles. I remember the awesome smell of the beeswax and seeing all the candles being made. Looking back it must of been then that I became interested in bees. I called the shop and spoke to Mary Sue Frediani hoping to retrace my childhood steps but she told me that a little while after the shop had to be closed and relocated because the building had been sold. She asked me if I remember the bees they had set up in a observation hive on the side of the shop and oddly I don't. Just the great smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Well you just burst my bubble. I used to think of myself as the go the extra mile dad in those type of situations. Clearly I'm not. But seriously it sounds like you have great ideas there and the kids will learn a lot and have fun too. J
    Please don't feel bad at all. I'm sure your an awesome dad. I'm self-employed and most of the time I have more time than money. It's just through Gods will that I guess I get to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    You just made me feel like a slacker. I have to up my game.
    Thank you!!! I will humbly take that as a complement. If I can get the kids to work with me I'm going to have them dress in their bee suits so we'll all match. I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    This sounds very cool! Wife and I have done a few of these types of presentations.

How many do you expect? By the looks of it, you've got plenty of activities planned to give a pretty well rounded intro to bees and their products.....You don't want to throw 'too much' info at them, keep it fun and you'll keep them marveled and interested.

I'd maybe add a little info on the importance of all pollinators?

Good Luck!
    We expect between 20-30 kids. This will be for kids in the double digit club so 10 and over.

Great point about other pollinators.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Wow! Can I come?
    of course.

I take it back... you can't have *too many* things to do... 20-30 kids - if any start asking questions like "sooo - why does the drone die after mating?", you can jump right to "WELL! How about getting those pictures now - wouldn't that be GREAT!" lol
    - - Michael Joel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast