greg

Yep.

Another thread side track just for you.
    Attachment 37141
    It will be ready to cut at noon.
    Cheers
    gww
    Nice! I want a piece of that!
    (10 + 2) years. Dad's "smoker boy". Now I am the Dad. Classic 12 frame Dadants >> Ukranian frame horizontals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New To Selling Honey

Gww, I think sometimes too much information takes away some of people's interest. From your side of things (or mine) it is a good thing, honest and upfront, but i still believe it works like that sometimes. Agree the bullet point idea is good. As far as pictures with a phone i find the same with blur and usually have to use both hands and maybe even brace against something to get it sharp. Less coffee is better. Lol

I recently sold a sawmill on CL and felt the responsibility to share everything i could about it for the buyer, but that would have taken a whole page!
    So to keep it simple i wrote needs some tlc and contact for more information. Yes it was more work to repeat all the stuff but it eventually worked. Copy/paste is a great tool!

Your chemical free honey should fetch a good price. My beekeeper friend is 100% natural and gets $12 a pound - wholesale in buckets.

Technical point about picture-taking..

Do use some support for picture taking.
    Especially so because the honey jar objects are static.
    No need to follow them around - they do NOT move.

I myself have a tripod and a true camera with good optics.
    I set the camera and set the shoot and do all that good stuff.
    I can get inside the shoot myself if desired.
    So that helps.
    (10 + 2) years. Dad's "smoker boy". Now I am the Dad. Classic 12 frame Dadants >> Ukranian frame horizontals.

Cbay
    Dang, you set me up for another thread hyjack. So, here goes, I built my own sawmill and that is how I get my wood for my hives. My interest is perked. What did you just sale?

I am not going to do well with out the coffee. I drink it from the second I wake up till the minute I go to bed. If I cut it out, I would have tremmers just like if I was an alky needing a drink.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Greg
    Most pictures I take are an afterthought taken just to show that I actually did something. I love seeing others pictures on here and apretiate them taking the time to show me ideals that I might steal and use for myself but I can not get super excited about the effort to do it well. I do reconize that if I want something (like to sell something) I am going to have to get a little more serious.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Cbay
    Thanks for the PM.
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    My thoughts, which are largely a reiteration of what others have said:

1. Your photo:
    - It needs to be less blurry, with WAY MORE LIGHT, and avoid the clutter in the background.
    - Take a very large white sheet and drape it over a table, then take the back end up and tape it to the wall. Place the honey on the table/sheet. When you take a picture, you should see a honey jar and white. That's it. (alternatively, you can spruce it up with some flowers, or put a honey jar in a field of complementary color flowers, or on a wood rustic table, but for starters I'd use the white sheet)
    - Grab just about every light you can find in the house (within reason) and point them at the honey jar.
    - If you have a smart phone, download a free high quality photo app (like HDR3).
    - Put a chair in front of the table and prop the phone on the backrest of the chair. This will keep it still (or more so). Take some photos.
    - Pick the best one of the 1,000 you took at various angles. Move some of the lights, and take more photos. Change your angle and take more photos. Move the jars and take more photos. Use the best.
    - Add a second photo of you going through a hive (or honey pouring from an extractor into a bucket, or something like that). Not everyone looks at the second photo, but it can't hurt.

2. Description:
    - Tell a story. Be short, but tell what you want to tell.
    - Start with the most important thing you want to tell: the price ("I have local, raw, natural honey for sale: $10 for a pint, $20 for a quart")
    - Each successive sentence, or bullet point, should be important, but not as important as the one above it. You can say something about what your honey tastes like, where you're at, a little bit about yourself, how you manage your hives, ect.
    - The point is that at any point, after reading any particular sentence, from start to end, if they stopped mid way they'd get the information they'd need. Those that want more can read more. Those that don't need it, don't need to keep reading.
    - Think about it like this. If the reader stopped reading after the first sentence, what would they know? What would they need to know? For your ad, 3&4 sentences in I find out about the price. Some lost interest at sentence 2, so you never got that information across. Sentence 8 has your contact information, but some stopped reading after 6. Get the idea?
    - Probably most importantly, don't say ANYTHING NEGATIVE. Don't say you don't get texts. Just say "Call xxx-xxxx". Don't say "I don't have a bunch of hives or a bunch of honey." Say "limited availability" if you say anything at all. Don't say anything about wax, or bubbles, or stuff floating to the top or bottom. Leave all that out.
    - Once you're done, read it through. Read each sentence and ask "What information is this conveying?" And write the answer down. Price, contact information, flavor, availability, ect. Then ask yourself "do I need to convey that information?" And write that answer down. Seriously do it. It will help you get more concise and shorter.

I often have a hard time being concise (if you couldn't tell from my posts . . . part of the problem of my 9-5 job). Doing this helps me.

YMMV.

Specialk....
    No smart phone here. Thanks for the imput. If you see my post at all on this site, you realize short and sweet is not one of the talents that I bring to the table.
    Thank you for taking the time.
    gww
    zone 5b

DSCN1057.jpg

Taken with my phone in the backyard -- so much easier than the days of 35mm. (though there are some things only an SLR with film will do)

Im like you gww photos for me are often a after thought and only ever taken with my phone. I take a heap of everything and usually can find one that is usable. I have found with the phone blurry photos are often as the result of a dirty lens, my phone gets handled all the time covered in dirt, grime, dust and greasy finger prints, a quick clean works wonders.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234