Anyone Check for Mite Biting? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    excellent jeff! yes all is very well here. it was a perfect year for nectar with another record (for me) honey harvest. many thanks for the update.
    Awesome! Congratulations on the record!

I'll try to drop in more often and update as I have time. I've neglected my bees a little too much this year, but they seem to be going strong. I practiced "bee having" a little too much this year.
    Season 4. TF.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Anyone Check for Mite Biting?

Quote Originally Posted by Nordak View Post
    I practiced "bee having" a little too much this year.

up to a point that can be the best thing to do.

mine have been doing much better now that i've learned to stay out of their way.

having a yard of bees with another year on them is good progress in my book, way to go jeff.

how many winters has your longest lived colony?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I've got 2 that have gone through 3 winters. Not the original queens at this point, but daughters. I lost one of my 3 original hives this year. Hoping the 2 can get through 2018. They are two of the strongest hives it appears so I think the odds are with them.
    Season 4. TF.

Get through 2017 I mean. Optimistic about it.
    Season 4. TF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordak View Post
    I've got 2 that have gone through 3 winters... Hoping the 2 can get through 2018. They are two of the strongest hives it appears so I think the odds are with them.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I was fortunate enough to get a couple queens from Nordak last year. Lost one overwinter due to lack of forage most likely as we had a long warm fall and most of the bees at that yard ate up all their stores w/o me having time to check on them. The other overwintered at my house and I moved to probably my best urban location when the nuc there was discovered queenless early spring and combining was a good option as Nordak's queen was a little light on bees not having much time to build up the year before since I got them pretty late. They seemed to struggle a little but Nordak told me they're kind of late bloomers so I left them alone for the most part as they always seemed to have a good brood pattern etc... but just seemed a little slow at building up and the nectar flow this year was kind of later than usual. I finally had time to check on them a few weeks ago to wrap up their season. I have two production hives there, both headed by local swarms which I suspect came from the same hive, one from 2016 and the other was this year's move in. The older swarm barely eeked by last winter (mites), but both hives were double deeps and two meds, chalk full of bees during peak season. I typically leave this location untreated just due to time constraints, and although I do like the bees that moved in it's one of my good test areas as the forage is good and it lets me really look at any possibility of local resistance under good conditions. I found the two production hives were collapsing, but still a decent population. The 2016 swarm had a virgin queen running around, I was hopeful she could get mated, but of course, inspection day was the last day we had in the 80-90's as we're now in the 60's with clouds and chances of rain every few days since the inspection. The other hive had some cells started with what little viable larvae they had left so I'm doubting they'll make it, but I'll probably drop a nuc in what's left to save them. On the other hand, the nuc with Nordak's queen looked very nice. I didn't remove any frames as I didn't want to disturb them and they had stores all settled in but I got a nice top picture. I'm assuming from the population they were doing alright. This nuc has a telescoping and inner cover btw.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/atta...2&d=1510609561

Production hive before adding a medium on one of our 110 degree summer evenings....

http://www.beesource.com/forums/atta...1&d=1510609561

Nordak
    Thanks for the update.
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234