Default Full deep packed with pollen. How much should I remove?

Inspecting a 10 frame 3 deep carni colony today. All 10 frames of the bottom deep box is packed with pollen. I need to open up the brood nest. How many frames of pollen would you leave? Can I freeze frames of pollen for my July splits?

Default Re: Full deep packed with pollen. How much should I remove?

What are the frames in the top 2 boxes like? I would leave the pollen where it is and pull frames of honey from top 2 boxes. Replace honey frames with drawn comb. Pull honey from side of box, slide over frames until you get to brood nest then insert drawn comb. If no drawn comb use foundation.

When you do splits in July, pull pollen then.

Peter
    Ottawa. ON

You might read more on what the late Walt Wright wrote on the "pollen box," a medium he liked to put under his deep brood box to get pollen stored. Then make your decision. Lots of options.

Michael
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

I would not remove any pollen, it's natural for the bees to store it low under brood nest. Honey goes over brood nest. Maybe it's time to checkerboard in another box on top? Or add a box on top with two frames moved up into it from the next box under it?

Thank you for your advice. I will leave the pollen just where it is. I really appreciate the reference to http://beesource.com/point-of-view/w...ollen-reserve/. I have a much better understanding now.