Default Is this robbing?

Video link here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...V81V0RyNWd6TVE (lol forgive the fail ending, I had gloves on and was struggling to stop the video, thought I had edited that out oops)

I don't understand why robbing would be occurring when there should be plenty of pollen/nectar flow, but I'm also confused why, if it's an orientation flight, they're moving so quickly and trying to get in via non-entrance outlets. I don't want to close off entrances if they're just all in a massive traffic jam, but it just looks too "frantic" not to be robbers. But also I'm a complete noob so maybe this is normal behavior I'm just not recognizing. Any ideas?
    First year beekeeper with two Kenyan Top Bar Hives.
    My bee journey can be found here.

Default Re: Is this robbing?

No at certain times of the day you will see increase in activity remember a queen can lay over 2000 eggs a day and that many new bees will have to do orientation flights and it can get real busy if you have a few days of bad weather. Some of the bees are having trouble finding the entrance, the smell must be leaking out of some cracks you have in your top bar.

yes its an orientation flight i love to sit and watch them

Quote Originally Posted by TRIMMAN View Post
    yes its an orientation flight i love to sit and watch them
    I get my lawn chair and sit in the middle of it

Okay, thank you for putting my mind at ease! I've been arguing with myself for several days. I love watching too! My backyard is full of crimson clover so I like to sit out and read while listening to them buzz.

Do bees orient every time they leave the hive? The reason I ask is I am wondering what they do when the hive is relocated to another bee yard. I know that hives should not be moved during the day when the foragers are out because they will all return to were the hive was. If a hive is moved to another location(at night) that is within the original locations' foraging radius, will the bees return to the new location or go back to the place the hive was originally located?

I hope this is not considered hijacking a thread. The video link is about orientation flights.

Just looked at your bee journey I think I'll put it in my reading list. Have fun with your bees!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyBBQ69 View Post
    Do bees orient every time they leave the hive? The reason I ask is I am wondering what they do when the hive is relocated to another bee yard. I know that hives should not be moved during the day when the foragers are out because they will all return to were the hive was. If a hive is moved to another location(at night) that is within the original locations' foraging radius, will the bees return to the new location or go back to the place the hive was originally located?

I hope this is not considered hijacking a thread. The video link is about orientation flights.
    I definitely don't know anything (brand new beek) but I've heard if you're moving it a mile or more you're fine, but if it's just a few feet that's where you run into problems because all their landmarks are still there. I was told if you're moving it a few feet (or doing something like removing a tree near the hive) you keep them in for a day and then they'll all reorient when let loose again. Granted I'm not sure how that would work but that's what I was told. At the time I thought, "Okay, don't move the hive, it will live in this spot forever after install." haha

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    Just looked at your bee journey I think I'll put it in my reading list. Have fun with your bees!
    Thank you! It's been REALLY fun so far, I love all the new learning opportunities, and glad you like my posts! Very thankful for this forum and all the helpful people on it like you!

I don't think the foragers orient every time leaving the hive.

the 2 feet or 2 mile rule??
    I have broken this rule many times. If I move a hive more than 5 feet from it's original location, I put a moving screen on or I put a stick just outside the entrance of the hive on the landing board.
    Upon exiting the hive to go to work, the foragers run into an obstruction and realize something is different and should re-orient.