Default Did a bad, bad thing! Any advice on treating leather bee gloves after water exposure?

I've only had my top bar hive since around October last year, but am well used to handling the bars correctly during hive inspections. I had a small job to do in the hive yesterday (removing a bar I put in 3 weeks ago which the bees have not been at all interested in drawing comb on - most probably due to time of year) which I decided to do while not entirely clear headed (I have a head cold and am feeling quite dopey).

Stupidly after I had placed a bar, bar side down, onto the top of my other bars in order to trim a bit of wayward comb, I picked the bar up and promptly lifted it incorrectly resulting in the comb snapping off about 2 inches from the bar. The comb was fully drawn and probably half full of capped honey, with the other half being a combination of empty cells and capped drones. Ended up with honey all over the place (primarily on the top of all my in place bars) as well as all over my bee gloves. I put the bar with the 2 inches of attached honey filled comb back into the hive for the bees to clean up. The rest of it I saved what honey I could and discarded the rest. The most distressing thing was the bee losses. There must have been a couple of hundred girls as well as some drones caught up in the mess. Thankfully, I am pretty sure the queen was not amongst this train wreck. Bees went off of course, and I lost quite a few more to stings to my leather gloves. Only received one quite nasty sting from a lone bee that was still on my bee suit when I took it off. I've had my share of stings since I got my hive, but this girl was really upset and got me clean on the pointing finger with great passion.

I ended up having to wash my gloves quite thoroughly because they were literally soaked in honey. I have now dried them and they haven't turned out as stiff as I thought they might, but all the same I think a leather treatment of some sort would be a good idea. Of course I do not want to use any type of chemical treatment that could harm the bees (e.g. I won't use my Dubbin). Any ideas what I could use. If I rubbed in some bees wash mixed with some sort of natural oil, would the bees take more interest in my gloves than I'd like when tending the hive?

Cheers

Default Re: Did a bad, bad thing! Any advice on treating leather bee gloves after water expos

Try linseed oil. It is good for leather and elsewhere in this forum I see people actually use it to coat hives.
    My grandfather and great-uncle kept bees and my fiancée's grandfather, too. I want to pass this tradition along.

Default Re: Did a bad, bad thing! Any advice on treating leather bee gloves after water expos

I wash Mine in the washer. Then air dry a little until semi dry. Warm up 1/4 cup of synoil in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush a liberal amount of warm synoil on the leather, allow leather to absorb for 3 tp 5 min. Then place in a tumbler with hardwood sawdust and golf balls for 20 minutes. They come out as soft as new kit gloves!

I use goatskin gloves because they can get wet without getting too stiff when dried. I spray Ballistol on them when new. In the event that they do get wet, I'll sparay a little more Ballistol on them once they are dry. That same oil will soften them up if they get stiff. Any mineral oil will give you similar results.

my leather gloves are like bricks everytime I put them on just from sweat from the previous inspection, they loosen right up after a few min of being worn.

Mineral oil..........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Not boiled linseed oil. BLO will quickly polymerize and cure stiff. Raw linseed oil will polymerize very slowly. Polymerization is also an exothermic reaction (why rags spontaneously combust), so I would be careful about making sure anything I put it on can be hung up to cure.

Personally I wouldn't do anything to them. Hang them up, let them dry. They'll soften up after a little bit of use.
    Zone 5B

Thanks very much for the reply. I think they are goat leather and checking them out this morning I think they have survived the wash pretty much unscathed. They are still reasonably supple, so I may get away with no treatment after all, though I will look into some of the products mentioned to work out what the Australian equivalents are, e.g. never heard of Ballistol. I do have a food grade mineral oil that I use on my pizza peels, so that my be suitable in small quantities. Thanks again.

P.S. Bees have well and truly got over the shock of the other day. I feel quite lucky to have the climate that I do, almost at the start of winter and yet large numbers of bees are out foraging this morning. Here in Brisbane quite a lot of people have a shrub called xanthostemon chrysanthus (Golden Penda) on their footpaths (verges) and these have come into flower in the last couple of weeks. The bees love them, but have to compete with the birds who are also keen on the nectar. I have a couple on my footpath, but am particularly keen on seeing a large tree sized plant that is in my neighbours place come into flower. It is in full bud but is a couple of weeks behind most of the others around the place.

Golden Penda.jpg

Leather stiffens when wet, it's how to make hardened shaped leather for sheaths and the like. Don't worry about it!

There's lots of good oils out there for leather to soften leather, neatsfoot is probably the best straight oil. I use Montana pitch blend or sno seal on most of my leather products (sno seal is actually a beeswax product!).

If you just warm the leather and wear it around it will naturally soften a bit as well.

Do not use linseed or boiled linseed (or Tung) oil! It will cure (you don't want that) and will hurt the leather in the process.

EDIT: I see now you are in Australia so maybe don't have access to some of the products I use. Extra virgin olive oil works well too. When I make knife sheaths or axe sheaths for people, I use a blend of bees wax and EVOO for conditioning the leather after wet shaping it. Probably also good since it likely won't upset the bees.
    Last edited by friendlywithbears; 05-19-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks mate - that is helpful.

Cheers

I buy the laxitive mineral oil (no smell like the Baby oil) and soak them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF