Default Swarm or Bearding?

Looks like a swarm to me, but I have a hard time believing it. I caught this colony in a swarm trap sometime between 3/19 and 4/5 of this year. I transferred it into a single deep on 4/6. Placed 2nd Deep box with 10 frames on 4/9. Could it have swarmed on 5/18? That seems unlikely. But this does not look like bearding to me either. FWIW, I am positive that they did not come from the other colony in this beeyard. It has a virgin queen in it that I am waiting on to mate and start laying.

Any opinions? Sorry pic is sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Swarm or Bearding?

anybody?

If just comparing to the hive next to it, I'd say it's not bearding, unless the hive on the left doesn't have a similar population. It looks like the hive with the bees has a robber screen? Depending on temps and humidity, it could very well be bearding. Mine have been doing it for several days now. Do the bee's go back in the hive at night?

The hive next to it is struggling to requeen itself and has a very low population. That is a robber screen. I think they did go back in last night, but can't be sure. They are not there today. Will look in the hive this weekend and see if it is evident that a swarm has occurred.

It's been so humid the last few days here, mine are washboarding a lot.
    But you've got a real cluster going on there.

Do you use screened bottom boards? Is the top vented? Have you considered adding another box?

Taken 2 days ago. Maintaining a hive at 94 degrees occasionally means that some of the bee's have to GET OUT. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but you need to know what you're seeing.

Bearding.jpg

I have no idea why pictures are rotated when uploaded via the basic uploader???

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCreek View Post
    Taken 2 days ago. Maintaining a hive at 94 degrees occasionally means that some of the bee's have to GET OUT. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but you need to know what you're seeing.

Bearding.jpg

Hey Cadence. I am using a screen bottom board. I found the cluster when I went out to super the hive yesterday. I did put that super on over a queen excluder and knocked off a lot of bees in the process. It is not top vented. I currently have a migratory top on it. May try that. Thanks.

Deep Creek: Thanks for the pic. Helps my anxiety a little. It has been incredibly hot down here lately. My concern is really that they are massed up on the top of the hive and not bearding around the bottom opening to the hive. Possibly this is because of the robbing screen I had in place. I have taken that off. I am going to monitor it and get into the box this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Call it what you want, but only one way to find out good that you took the robber screen off, & still can use some type of wide wood reducer. That's seems like a lot of bees for the small amount of hardware.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.