Default How long can I leave mead in the primary

I made a 6 gallon batch of mead two weeks ago. A few days later I was admitted to hospital for an out of control case of Lyme's disease that went into my nervous system and brain. Now I'm being transferred WVU hospital for an unknown amount of time. My question is how long can that batch stay in the primary without getting off flavors from sitting on the lees for so long?

Default Re: How long can I leave mead in the primary

When I first started making mead, the lady at the brewing supply store told me not to leave the mead in the primary fermenter for more than 2 weeks, lest it start taking on an overly-yeasty flavor. So I've stuck with that, with a couple exceptions when I let it go a few extra days.

That said, in your case I wouldn't worry about it. Just get well, and if you can find someone you trust to rack into a secondary, do that.

Thanks bee that's what I was afraid of. That stinks.

I'll bet it'll be just fine.

Your first order of business is to take care of yourself. As a Lyme disease sufferer (more than once), I suggest that you can always make more mead. Other things in life have more difficult recipes with ingredients far more scarce. I'll bet you one whole dollar that you'll be happily drinking that mead sometime in the future, toasting to our health.

No worries. No worries.

ps...if it matters at all, my second mead was a wonderful honey lemon mead that stuck. I restarted and the batch bubbled forever. All in, I think it was over two months from pitching to secondary, maybe longer. It's still downstairs aging now but it tastes so good that I can hardly wait till I bottle. No yeasty flavor...just wonderful mead.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks for the reply that makes me feel better about the mead. I know it's the least important thing at the moment but I would like it to turn out well. I have hives swarming, traps that have been occupied for two weeks or more, falling behind on work around the house and just generally frustrated. I'm sorry to hear that you had Lyme's, I hope you are well now.

Off flavors are a rather subjective thing. Many aficionados have taken decades to develop a pallet that can even define them. The average jerky chewer who walks the farm with a sprig of timothy hanging out his mouth would call most off flavors Robust character at worst. Believe me I have judged many a competition where good ole boys have entered the best batch they ever made. and it was horrid to a educated pallet. I would not worry at all. If she is a bit unsatisfactory, Oak her for a few weeks' Add a sprig of rosemary, or maybe a few vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and create the next local delight! there are always good ole boys out there who will rave about your efforts!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    there are always good ole boys out there who will rave about your efforts!
    Besides, after the second glass they dont care nearly as much.
    Zone 5B