My new Warre and busy girls - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My new Warre - So ends the experiment

They absconded!!!

This fall has been unusually warm. Last weekend, the Sunday after Thanksgiving it was 70. So I checked on all my hives. The Warre was full of busy girls doing last minute foraging.

It was still 65 today, but I decided to go ahead and put on the quilt boxes. And that was when I discovered the Warre was completely empty. There were four dead bees on the bottom board, none in the hive. Sometime in the last five days they bolted. It had not been robbed yet. The top two boxes were still packed wall to wall with honey, the bottom box had some brood under a honey dome.

I considered giving some of it to my other hives (all Langstroths) but the compatibility problem is the main reason I decided not to continue with a Warre once this hive was gone. I decided to harvest. It's a dark but tasty honey.

I was hoping to make some queens from this queen next spring as she was a great queen with gentle girls.

So there I was being happy we had a very warm fall and the girls were still foraging - usually there is a foot of snow on the ground by now - when it occurred to me that had it been a normal December weekend they would probably not have flown.

I'll leave it out as a swarm trap next spring, but if no one takes up residence I have no plans at this point to put a package in it.

I'm building a long Langstroth this winter, plus I've got a dozen hive boxes cut out and sitting in my shop waiting for assembly, so growth is going to to there.

The Warre was a pretty hive, and it was neat to watch the bees build beautiful comb and round out and finish the bottoms. And I am going to copy that feeder for my Langstroths because it absolutely did not drown bees.

So ends my Warre experiment.

warre.jpg
    Zone 5B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

They absconded. That sends me a warning did you monitor for mites? If not how do you know they absconded and didn't just collapse from mites?

Hate to say it JC, but you just described the classic signs of a mite collapse. Autopsy the remaining capped brood and look for mites on the worker pupae. Check the tops of the empty cells for white specks. The crash happens very fast so one week is reasonable. You should probably give your other hives a dose of OA to kill any mites from this hive that they are bringing home.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Default Re: My new Warre and busy girls

Jc
    My warre still has bees comming and going but I can't see how it is going to make it through winter. It just never really got to critical mass during build up. I can't believe it even has bees in it. Sorry to hear about your hive. Me putting bees in mine was kinda a fluke too. I was sorta leaving it out incase a swarm moved in when one of my hives swarmed and the warre was just sitting there and so. I guess if my warre dies and I get a swarm before wax moth and stuff get the small amount of comb, I will probly re-fill it but like you say, it is harder to work with when you have all langs and even if you had all warres, It is harder to fix problims by moving around resources. They are pretty and if you just don't care about looking inside and just get what you get, I still kinda like the ideal.
    Its fun.
    Again, your hive looked good and it is a shame but I bet the honey is nice and to me crush and strain is easier then extracting.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps At least you got honey, if mine dies, all I will get is sugar water this year.
    zone 5b

Default Re: My new Warre and busy girls

Thangs for the feedback guys.

Yeah, I did consider mite collapse. The Warre doesn't fit my OA vaporizer and I never did get an adapter built. (another of the compatibility problems). My fault for letting summer fun get in the way too much this year - missed a critical re-queening of another hive as a result, but fun is important too I guess.

The bottom board of the Warre was really quite clean, I looked for mites and only saw a few. I haven't pulled frames from the lowest box (where the brood was) yet but I'll take a good look and inspect a few of the brood cells as well.

I checked the boards under the Lang screens in my other hives yesterday and although I did see some mites, there weren't a lot. I've still got some Apivar strips and I'm planning on putting them in my Langs today (it'll be 65 this afternoon) just to make sure. I know that means extracting the strips in mid January, but better than loosing another.

On a side note, I've let the first of the Warre boxes strain overnight. It took quite a while for the combs to come up to room temperature. Holy cow! Those Warre boxes hold a lot of honey for their small size! One box half filled my five gallon strainer, and it is still straining. I did not expect to get that much from one box. Its kind of gratifying to see so much honey from a small box.
    Zone 5B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12