Thread: enj.and company

Default enj.and company

Ok guys in the upstate NY area:

I have this weekend coming off work. The following weekend im going away for a week then im back weekend of may 6th.
    Soooo...was thinking of making a nuc split of each of the 3-4 largest colonies i have to try and avoid a swarm while im away.
    I did listen Enj. and i have 3 snellgrove boards that arrived yesterday from Mannlake but im not going to be here for a week to do the manipulations correctly on the right days . I will def use these though when i get back!

I have 5 baited swarm traps out at various heights from ground level to 15feet up a tree . They are all 5 frame nucs with old brood comb and sprayed with swarm commander.

Its going to be mid 60s where im at on Sunday. I was planning on pulling from the large hives, two frames of eggs/brood/bees plus a frame of honey/pollen and a frame feeder ( wide) into nuc boxes as splits and let them raise queen cells. If when i get back from vacation there are drones all good..if not i will purchase mated queens for the new nucs.

Thoughts??
    thanks in advance
    Aran

Default Re: enj.and company

Might be best to not let the nucs raise their own queens if you can avoid it.

Why?

You raise better queens with big populous hives or cell builders feeding lots of royal jelly to your future queen. Move the queen to the nuc and let the parent hive raise the new queen.

Oh I see yeah that makes sense I guess

Add a couple extracting supers to the strongest colonies before you leave, and wait until you get back in May to split.

That sounds easier still ! Cheers Mike!