Default Question: Best roof design for cold climates

We're in the process of building a Long Lang, which we'll manage similarly to a TBH. We're about to build the roof and are looking for thoughts on the best design or important features to give the best chances of success. We live in the Interior of BC, so winter involves lots of snowfall and temperatures as low as -20C (-4F). Should we use a gable roof design or flat? Should we incorporate insulation in the roof, or add it to the outside in winter, and what's the best material? Is ventilation more important than insulation? I'd love to hear some suggestions from experienced TBH beekeepers! Thank you!

Default Re: Question: Best roof design for cold climates

I like flat for several reasons. You can stack things on them, like rocks and bricks to keep the lid from blowing off. They can accumulate snow which helps keep them warm. You can put styrofoam on them to insulate them. I don't see the point in complicated covers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

For practical purposes I am with Michael on the flat top for the same reasons. For aesthetics a copper garden hive roof can't be beat! IMHO

I insulate the roof and ventilate to prevent internal condensation of the warm moist "hive" air.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

My covers (lids) are hinged and are about a 4/12 pitch. If you put holes on either end it's like a vented roof or attic. Seems to work fine. I'm a contractor so maybe it's just me being complicated but I like them.

For good ventilation, keeping things dry inside, and best heat retention, it hard to beat a gabled roof. Put some vents up high, put a quilt above the hive, and some deep eves, and the hive will be dry and warm. I hinged my gabled roof with locking straps in the sides. No worries of high winds.