Default Why the difference in colonys?

Why will a hive with a deep brood box, queen excluder and medium super be full to the brim with honey and the hive three feet away with the same equipment not even have any drawn comb in the super?
    Is it the queen? Both hives are very healthy. Just curious if I should try and morph that queen.....

Default Re: Why the difference in colonys?

Did the hives come out of winter equal? Age of forager population can play a bearing also. If the hive finished winter extremely low on stores, they use all they bring in to grow population.

The spring buildup phase is exponential so even a small difference in starting pop, or a hiccup in growth, can make a large difference latter in season. This is one reason why commercials balance hives in the spring. When all the hives in a yard are a similar size they can be managed in the same way. All hives in the yard get supered, treated, etc at the same time.

Peter
    Ottawa. ON

I've found location (even which side of the hive stand they're on) matters. I have two hives side by side and the one on the right seems to be ahead of the other most of the time. Even after swapping this seems to happen. In my case, I suspect the bees leave the hives and turn left for foraging. So coming back they get to the one on the right first and often dump their goods there. Lots of speculation in that but I've heard others that "the one on the end" seems to produce more honey in their yards as well.