Default New Apiculturist from Nor Cal

Hello beekeepers!

Recently a friend of mine decided to get out of the apiculture game and is giving me all of his equipment.

I am excited to finally have a chance to get into this awesome hobby. I presently do formiculture (ants) but it has really only been to satisfy me until I had a chance to do honeybees.

I have joined the local beekeepers association and am currently looking at the best literature available to start reading before I get started. Any suggestions on the best books I am all ears. So far I have been recommended this book: The ABC and Xyz of Bee Culture: An Encyclopedia of Beekeeping 40th Edition

Little about me. I have a background in entomology, biology and ecology. In college I worked at a native pollinator garden doing habitat restoration and education about honeybees and native pollinators. However my focus was largely on the native pollinators and I did not work much with our research colonies. This forum was recommended on a FB apiculture page so I look forward to hitting it hard to prepare for this new adventure.

Default Re: New Apiculturist from Nor Cal

Greetings. That's not unlike my own background. Biology, ecology, and entomology. I actually got into beekeeping while I was sorting bug samples collected for a project in southern nevada, but living in an orchard in oregon. So watch out. For me, 2 hives has turned into 200 and still growing.

If you get excited about natural history, I highly recommend Seeley's "Honeybee democracy" and "the wisdom of the hive" Democracy focuses on decision making in regards to swarming and nest searching behaviour. Wisdom (which might be harder to find) focuses on decision making and communication regarding foraging. The science is SUPERB. REally excellent question-hypothesis-research-experiment-analyze-repeat.... Asian honeybees by Oldroyd and Wongrisi is a fascinating comparitive biology of the dozen or so species of asian honey bees.

For ppractical beekeeping books there are hundreds. "First Lessons" by keith delaplane is a good starter. The penn state guide to honeybee maladies great field guide to disease ID. The American Bee Journal is a good publication. The Hive and Honeybee is another good encyclopedia type reference. LOTS of good books.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotApiaries View Post
    Greetings. That's not unlike my own background. Biology, ecology, and entomology. I actually got into beekeeping while I was sorting bug samples collected for a project in southern nevada, but living in an orchard in oregon. So watch out. For me, 2 hives has turned into 200 and still growing.

If you get excited about natural history, I highly recommend Seeley's "Honeybee democracy" and "the wisdom of the hive" Democracy focuses on decision making in regards to swarming and nest searching behaviour. Wisdom (which might be harder to find) focuses on decision making and communication regarding foraging. The science is SUPERB. REally excellent question-hypothesis-research-experiment-analyze-repeat.... Asian honeybees by Oldroyd and Wongrisi is a fascinating comparitive biology of the dozen or so species of asian honey bees.

For ppractical beekeeping books there are hundreds. "First Lessons" by keith delaplane is a good starter. The penn state guide to honeybee maladies great field guide to disease ID. The American Bee Journal is a good publication. The Hive and Honeybee is another good encyclopedia type reference. LOTS of good books.
    Great info. Thank you! I expect this hobby to spiral out of control once I get the hang of it, lol!

Welcome 462!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome!