Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Beltsville closed until further notice?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    He opened up the hive, took a look around and said, 100% certain it's AFB.
    Sorry to hear this. Good luck working through it.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Thanks. For those who have dealt with this before, what should my realistic expectations be regarding the outcome of this? I had 11 hives in that area. Some 4 feet away, some 50 feet away. If I burn the other 2 tonight, how likely is this to spread to my other hives? I know any answer will be at best a SWAG, but I'd like some input from someone who's been through this.

Would I be well advised to medicate the hives showing no signs? Does medication keep them from getting it, or just cover up the symptoms? I'm not into covering up the symptoms.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I am not down playing the dangers of afb. I am so glad that I live in a state that does not require registration of bee keepers.
    I hope it never changes here.
    I do wish brad as little pain as is possible in his situation.
    Good luck
    gww
    I'm with you. We have no registration in Michigan. I too hope it stays that way. I feel for Brad Bee though. I wish him all the best going forward.

Colorado has some sort beehive inspection laws on the books, but the program has been unfunded since 1990 and therefore not in operation, meaning no state registration is required at this time.

Personally, I would support some form of state registration and inspection program because it would be great to have some warning if AFB was occurring in my area.

Such a program would be especially helpful as we get more and more hobby beekeepers keeping hives in their backyards and not having the experience to identify AFB on their own, let alone have the ability to alert other beekeepers in the area if AFB is found.

JMHO
    --shinbone
    (7th year, 10 hives, Zone 5b, 5500')

I think in MO you are required to report AFB and follow thier proceedure for dealing with it. Other then that no hassle or extra paper work or nosyness on the states part.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    I do not understand why it is not a requirement to hand out a registration application with every package or nuc sold. No you should not be required to force them on people but it is not a big deal to have blanks on hand. Hand them out while collecting the sales tax data that every one collects for those cash sales.
    Some vendors do hand out registration forms. It comes down to priorities. Pursuing registrations was not a priority for our old state apiarist; it has been made one for the new.

Maine; 1 to 5 hives $2.00
    5 to 10 $5.00
    to 7000 hives $500.00

Government oppression. I've sent mine in as late as Sept for June requirement. No problem.

Andrew, just read your post, maybe I should get my stamp ready.

I hate to read it about anyone getting AFB.

Maybe the state inspector can find the source of the infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Well, in light of all the gubbermental talks, this hasn't solved my problem.

I called our bee inspector and talked to him about the bee lab problem. He called the semi retired bee inspector that he replaced. He brought him out this afternoon. He opened up the hive, took a look around and said, 100% certain it's AFB. The hive has declined significantly in the past 8-9 days since our first inspection. The other two hives that were started last summer with this hive are now showing early signs. I will do the Holst test tomorrow on the two showing early signs. I'm off now to burn the worst one. I have the hole dug, the hive all sealed up except a very tiny entrance. I've got a gallon of diesel fuel ready to get it rolling.

This sucks.
    I t does suck.
    You won't need a gallon of anything to get it rolling. Beeswax itself is highly flammable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    I t does suck.
    You won't need a gallon of anything to get it rolling. Beeswax itself is highly flammable.
    It took the hive an hour and a half to burn up. I had it sealed completely up to keep any bees from getting out. I had used duct tape around every box junction to seal them up and a ratchet strap to hold everything together. Until the hive got quiet, meaning the bees were dead, I didn't remove the top. Until I removed the top, it took quite a while to get it burning. If I hadn't used diesel fuel I'd still be out there trying to get it started.

Hope that is the end of it.

Brad
    Sorry for your loss and hoping all is good from this point forward.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

Thanks for the well wishes. Looks like another bonfire tonight. Hoping and praying that this is the last one.

50 years ago we carried cyanide n the trucks to kill the bees first.

Monitor your other hives carefully. Usually the strong get it first if it is robbed, the weak first if it is in the equipment.

As far as closing the lab, I smell an alligator. Randy Oliver does far more RELEVANT work than Beltsville on a fraction of the budget. If you want to sway public opinion, you cut program that would create the most public outcry, not the one that no one would care about. Like Mr. Lyon, we have never used Beltsville, but the lab testing should be the last item cut, not the first. DRAIN the SWAMP!!!

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    50 years ago we carried cyanide n the trucks to kill the bees first.

Crazy Roland
    That would have come in real handy tonight. It's hot and muggy and the biggest hive was bearding. I just closed up the entrance with screen, waited for them to settle down and threw diesel fuel on the ones outside.

Monitor your other hives carefully. Usually the strong get it first if it is robbed, the weak first if it is in the equipment.

Crazy Roland
    Thanks for that info. This was 3 of my strongest hives. I just wish I knew the origin of the hive they robbed out. I can wish all I want to, most likely I will never find out. Roland, is there anything I can do to help prevent the spread of this? I do not believe that any of these 3 hives have been robbed by any of my hives yet. I caught it early and got rid of them before they became weak enough to be robbed. I had one other hive on the same bench as the 3 that got torched. I moved it tonight so that if any bees escaped from the infected hives, they wouldn't wind up in that one, or at least not as easily. I put an empty hive, with drawn comb on the bench where I removed the 3 infected hives and the one good hive. I will kill any bees in it tomorrow night and burn it. I may be going overboard, but I don't intend to screw around with this.

DRAIN the SWAMP!!!

Crazy Roland
    I'm ALL in favor of that. I just wish more was being done faster.

Brad sorry to hear about this please keep us posted on your outcomes and if it spreads to your other hives

As far as closing the lab, I smell an alligator. Randy Oliver does far more RELEVANT work than Beltsville on a fraction of the budget. If you want to sway public opinion, you cut program that would create the most public outcry, not the one that no one would care about. Like Mr. Lyon, we have never used Beltsville, but the lab testing should be the last item cut, not the first. DRAIN the SWAMP!!!

Crazy Roland
    I have to agree with crazy Roland, and if you read what they say, they are taking him back for critical work, but if the usda will give them his salary, that critical work isn't so critical and he can go back to what he was doing. Hmmm do smell a rat. rats do live in the swamps right.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Reminds me of a song from my misspent youth.
    'Got along without you before I met ya....gonna get along without you now'
    Next maybe they can stop the NASS guy from knocking on my door the day before the survey arrives in the mail...he's come to make sure it gets filled out in a timely manner.
    Way too much time on their hands.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Reminds me of a song from my misspent youth.
    'Got along without you before I met ya....gonna get along without you now'
    Next maybe they can stop the NASS guy from knocking on my door the day before the survey arrives in the mail...he's come to make sure it gets filled out in a timely manner.
    Way too much time on their hands.
    The folks from NASS start ringing my phone for end of the quarter numbers before the quarter even ends....that is until I changed my primary number to my cell phone. The "block this number" feature on cell phones is awesome.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

how i see it is, its time for all those US Govt workers that are directors in the usda to step back up to the plate and put there lab coats back on and get to it instead of standing in the back ground watching..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast