Default WTB Small Amount of Apivar and MAQS (1 Hive worth)

Anyone want to sell me enough Apivar and MAQS to last me through the season? Maybe 2-3 Packets of Apivar and 1-2 of MAQS? Nobody locally sells less than 10 packs and thats too much for my small operation. Let me know how much it would cost shipped to Seattle WA.

Default Re: WTB Small Amount of Apivar and MAQS (1 Hive worth)

That's a lot of miticide for a single season for a one hive.

I think that MAQS which is outdated or not stored properly carries an increased risk profile, so stockpiling it may not be a good idea. I con't use Apivar, so I have no info about its storage life.

Have you consider OAV? The wand can be costly ($160 more or less for a top of the line model) but then you can buy OA material at most hardware stores. I bought a canister of it for less than $12 last summer and have treated more 352 boxes of bees since then - that's less the 4 cents per bee box. And I still have some left.

Enj.

Yeah that's about 130$ more expensive than a 10 pack of apivar and as a first year beekeeper who is mostly focused on trying to get a single split and to get his hives to overwinter there is not much reason to use OVA thats significantly more difficult to apply correctly and effectively. That amount should cover 2-3 treatments which still might be to low end of whats needed for an area that has such an active treatment free mite breeding community like metro Seattle.
    The MAQS I figured I'd just use during the heavy honey flow just in case the split doesn't happen and i want to eat the honey instead. Seems like it's pretty benign.
    Obviously I hope to not have to treat any but I'm realistic about the need to do so once I hit that 1-2% mite load.

Glad you're realistic, because you will have plenty of varroa in your "treatment free mite breeding community" !

MAQS is not necessarily more benign. It can be very harsh on brood and even queens, especially if used when it is hot, say over 85F.

OAV is easy to use, but I see your point. (There are cheaper OAV units, too.)

Join a bee-club and see if there is some one who wants to split a pack of Apivar. Have you checked all the mail-order places (Kelley's, Brushy Mountain, MannLake, Betterbee, etc.) to see if they sell smaller packages?

Something else to consider is using OA/glycerin-soaked shop towels in the way being developed by Randy Oliver. This is not an approved method, yet. See www.scientificbeekeeping.com. But it uses OA (dirt cheap), plus food grade gylcerin (probably not too expensive, but I haven't bought any yet) heated slightly and soaked into blue Scott shop towels (a whole roll costs less than $2, and you only need one or two sheets.) Can't beat the price. I plan to use it in mid-summer in place of MAQS.

Enjambres

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Can't beat the price. I plan to use it in mid-summer in place of MAQS.
    I didn't think OA was supposed to be used during a honey flow to prevent contamination of the honey. Otherwise I would have probably planned to use it in place of MAQS instead as well as its more effective.

Temperature band seems about right for Seattle June our average high is right around 75. Similar to http://scientificbeekeeping.com/firs...-for-your-nuc/ suggested range.