Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: bone head split so far, somebody save the day.

Danial
    Yes, I am blessed with bees, of course that just means I didn't open the brood nest well enough. I will be blessed when I figure out which hive are successful in the queen department. Who knows, I might be putting them back together before it is over. That would be funny if I have to put them all back together again. I think I have enough wooden ware to last till winter, but I am giong through it at a pretty fair rate.
    Thanks for the comment.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Great thread, please update!
    Listen to good advice, then.... make your own decision. fusion_power
    www.vivabiene.de

SiW.....
    Not much to update, I put about 3 gal of food on the what I am describing as a fly back split. I had thought it was chalk full when I did the split but seemed light so feed I did. I am done feeding or anything except watching the entrance till some where in the beginning of may when I will look for signs of a laying queen in both sides of the fly back swarm.

On the teronov split, I am giving about a pint a day to what is hopefully the queen and young bees. I will check it in probly a week and see if it has got the queen cause if it does not, it has no way to make one cause I put no brood in the young be part. I figure this part of the split is pretty small because it is only taking a pint a day and has zero foragers coming out of the side opening on the double screen door. It has only been 5 days or so since the split and hopefully that will change. If I do another teranov split, I will probly still be as sloppy but will use a staple or two to hold the sheet from the wind. But, I should have some ideal of queenlyness on that hive sooner then the rest. If it is queenless, I will recombine the hive which shouldn't be too hard since it is on a double screen board over the origional hive. I am mostly in a waiting mode right now on the queen thing. If the queen thing works out on all of the four parts of the splits, I should be in fair shape as the first swarms that I caught last year where on may 6/7th. Right on time for a couple of smaller hives to build up. I have not feed any hive that has foragers in it. One has only one comb of brood with a queen cell and the other forager split has all the brood. I should have an interesting contrast of things to look at. I may feed the broodless forager split but had thought I read some where that it is better to wait untill the queen is laying. I will decide when I check for a laying queen based on what comb they have built between now and then.

I have my fingers crossed on all of this. So far I like the fly back split best when starting with a queen cell because it is so easy. I would have liked it even better I think if I could have found the old queen and moved her with the foragers rather then a queen cell, but I was too late and believe the hive had swarmed before I caught it. I did not see the queen on the teronov split either and just took it for granted that she would end up in the right place. If she did not, it will only be the second one I have ever heard of being a failure. She could be dead in the grass though due to the wind that day. Time will tell and fingers are crossed.
    If you see me being stupid in any of my moves, do not be shy, I may not listen everytime but sure want to hear it.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Gww, I'm learning the beekeeping lingo from your post. Queenlyness. .

Danial
    Yea, I make it up as I go. You think it might catch on?.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

It will probably reside in my head gww.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12