bone head split so far, somebody save the day. - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Default Re: bone head split so far, somebody save the day.

SiW
    It must be nice to see what happens in front of the house and not to have outyards.
    It is nice enough that I can't make myself put any hives at dads even though I think he might have better flows. If you are a hermit, at home is sooo good.

My dead pile is not as big as your friends in the vidio but has stayed there for awhile and they are getting away from the hive with some of the ones they carry off. This was my favorite split last year. I can not believe that nine are still alive cause I stacked the deck against one or two of them. One has empty comb in the top box and one was only one medium and the warre was so small. It ain't spring yet but it was nice to get a day nice enough to see something and broke the winter doledrums. I don't worry too much, like good news better then bad but mostly, if I write stuff here, I might look back at it next year and have something besides a bad memory to campare with.
    Thank you for your good wishes and I hope you are mistaken on your small hive and that it surprizes you in a good way. If not, I am sure one of your other hives will.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

gww, can I update on your thread here? Thanks. I checked colonies today to see if anything needed sugar bricks, and all but one are alive. The dead one is a double 5 nuc that never went anywhere last summer and fall. It was a split last year with queen from a swarm I caught in 2015, maybe a supersedure swarm from one of my other hives that year at the same time. I wanted to re queen the hive, but couldn't get myself to kill off the queen. It was a tiny swarm in '15, built slow, and never did anything last year, but it's doing well with the new queen. This split has drawn out about 12-13 deep frames from foundation, but other than that didn't do anything much. I just kept it to see what it would do, and intended to re queen it with some grafting, but didn't get that accomplished. I am surprised it made it to winter. The small cluster was just dead together, so I am assuming it froze out. It didn't move up to the next box that had sugar packed in comb, but had a little honey stores in the corners of the frames they were on. No real loss, but I hope to keep from tinkering with little pokey colonies from now on. It was interesting, sort of, to see what it did.

Danial
    I have been away from the computer for two days cause I my daughter is building a house and me and the wife helped paint. It was a nice surprise while getting my first computer fix to see your post. I sorta worked with the small ones cause of the free sugar I had and the bees being in my back yard. I still expect the warre hive of mine to die due to cluster size. I left to my daughers before the first flying day but should be able to walk out to the hives tommorrow and see what is up because it is supposed to be 55 degrees F.

I am glad you posted yours. It made me kinda excited to check mine. The excitement take some of the soreness from finally doing something (painting) out of my bones.
    Cheer
    gww
    Ps 13 drawn deep frames is not too bad.
    zone 5b

Yes, the drawn frames will be used for nucs this spring, I hope. I am sure you will have a good bee flying day tomorrow. I expect another day of flying here. I am actually surprised that a couple other colonies are still kicking, and there's one that I don't know if it actually got re queened last fall. In a last ditch effort, I put in a queen from a nuc in November and didn't open it again. I didn't think the colony had good winder bee buildup with some multiple failed re queening, but it's still going.

I hope you had fun painting. I built 2 houses of my own, and know what that's like.

I will look forward to your post inspection post.

Danial
    I will go out again later but at nine, I saw some min gaurding or at least a few bees at all hives and so think they are all alive. They had not woke up hard yet. It was foggy.

I have noticed that the hives are not as noisy this year and on a couple of big ones I could not tell for sure if I could hear anything or not when I put my ear to the hives. I did not put my ear to all of them (too hard) and did not tap on the hives cause I will just go out later in the day and watch the entrances.

I did hear the bees in the warre though but could not hear them in my single medium but they were flying from that hive. If I see later that they are house cleaning, I figure if I see house cleaning then any action at the hive will not be robbing.

I think it is going to be good news one more time.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I don't really get much noise out of my colonies by tapping. To get a low hum I might puff into the top vent or main entrance when it's cold. Kind of an obvious danger there if they're willing to fly. In milder cold there may be several bees show up at the entrance and check me out.

Danial
    It got up to 65 today according to the computer. It was windy but did feel that hot. I went out a couple of times just for a little walk cause mostly I was still recouping from the two days of painting and not moving around as good as I should have been. The one thing I am sure of is that as of today, I still have nine hives. Still some winter and spring to go but time is flying by and trying to stay on top of swarming and starve outs is right around the corner. I hope it goes well for you and you get over the little bit of lack of enthusiasm that it seemed you were conveying and everything becomes really exciting and that it works well for you. Spring can do that just by being spring. I still don't have real plans on what direction I want to go except for just learning a little and going with the flow.

I have not forced expansion but have tried to have equiptment incase the bees press me. I like honey but am not sure of how well I will be at selling it. I like the ideal of selling bees but am greedy for enough hives that I can withstand a really bad year and still have bees and still get something from them with out ever having to by bees. Plus, I have not figured out the equiptment part of selling nucs. Buying stuff from the bee places small scale adds up to shipping cost and buying at what they sell in box stores is priced to high and I am to slow to build stuff that I am getting rid of even if somebody pays me for them. The frames being the bottle neck. In town they want like 20 bucks for 5 medium frames with foundation in them.

Mostly, I just have some hives and no plans and am waiting for some insperation to hit me after I learn a little more of what it takes to keep bees. If you switch from honey making to selling nucs, I would be interested in how you handle the equiptment process. Member Nordak made some packages and got rid of some of the equipment issues. I bet packages are easier to make then frames.

Keep me imformed of what you are doing cause I might learn something.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Good news on your bees. Yes, late winter into early spring is the most risk for bee loss with starving. Your plans sound like mine, don't know where I am going, but taking it a month at a time. My lack of enthusiasm has been caused by a couple things. Sometimes the thought space in my head gets a bit filled up with other things, which causes some things to be a distraction from less important things.

I also have determined I most likely have an allergic reaction to propolis that came up last summer. It effects my hands, wrists, wherever it gets in contact with propolis, and it dries out, rash, cracked skin, etc. I have to be careful not to grab anything beekeeping without gloves now. It started last summer. I just need a supply of gloves always on hand, which is better than using leather beekeeping gloves, but it's kind of a pain, not to mention propolis is probably all over my truck door handles, steering wheel, on my suit, in my storage place, and on. I need to wear them checking bees, extracting honey, moving unused equipment, etc. That development makes me think I don't need to be too deep into bees. We will see what this year brings.

The allergy thing sucks. I wonder if carrying alcohol towels would clean it off fast enough that you could beat the potential outbreak. My dad has a small allergy to antibacterial soaps. That stuff is everywhere but I don't think his outbreaks are that bad. I worked in a paint booth for a short time and we used to put vasoline all over ourselves so the paint would not stick to us.
    Them are about the only ideals that I could come up with and they are not good unless you plan in advance for every bee move. I knew when I rubbed vasoline on me that I was only going to be painting for eight hours and was not going to go hugg my kids and such.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

I need to post the question if anyone else has had the propolis reaction. Bee stings don't effect me at all, except the pain of being stuck. I think I would stick with the paint coveralls and gloves than Vaseline if I need to paint. I have had more than my share of automotive paint refinishing. I will find out how easy or hard it is to avoid the contact to propolis this year. Doesn't sound too easy to keep it off me.

Danial
    We had the coverals, gloves and even the ground strap to the bottom of our shoes but it would get over 100 degrees in the booth and you would have 8 guys in there spraying and so would find any way possible to keep cool. There was always going to be some exposed skin. Maby somebody will see your post and respond here on how they handled a simular problim. You might get lucky and maby it was just the propolus they were gethering one time that you were alergic to and maby the will put another coat on and cover the bad stuff.

Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213