Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant!

Default Rant!

Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I love Honey Nut Cheerios. They have had a great campaign to 'bring back the bees'. Went so far as to give away wild flower seeds as part of this campaign. They announced that on an effort to raise awareness to the devastating bee loss they are going to remove 'Buzz' from their cereal boxes.

This is all great.

They then proceeded to list the statistics we all see about how much of our food we rely on to be pollinated by these magnificent creatures.

This too is great.

Then they lost me. They then listed the three main reasons for this bee population loss as.....
    Loss of habitat
    Climate change
    Use of chemicals

While I do believe these have sn impact on bee populations, I believe the single most deadly cause to bee loss is Varroa Destructor.

As beekeepers how do we hope to have any chance of a viable solution if the real problem is never acknowledged outside the industry. If money is being spent to save the bees on other things other than the real problem a real solution may never be found until it is too late.

Okay....done with rant
    4a

Default Re: Rant!

How about we look at different way.

What do I want from my non-beekeeping neighbors ?

a) Planting for the bees, minimize use of weed killers, no bug sprays that harm bees

OR

b) Worry about varroa

The message has to be something that general public can relate to and can actually help us all with. They dont know varroa, they cannot control varroa. But they know these other things and everyone can help in that regard.

I personally prefer my neighbors to help with a) and I worry about dealing with b).

Hope that helps.

When people hear the word "bee", most think of honey bees, but there are hundreds of native species of bee that are in peril. Honey bee colonies live thru the winter (mostly) and can support a population of varroa; other species have only the solitary queen wintering over, making it impossible for varroa to gain a foothold (an extended broodbreak).
    Honey bees are not going to go extinct. They have keepers, researchers, and the ability to forage over a wide area. Native bees are not thought about much and have limited opportunity because of their evolution to fill a particular niche, which is constantly under assault.
    "SERENITY is realizing that the bees know what they are doing, even when you don't..."--thenance007

Quote Originally Posted by Swampsquash View Post
    I agree, It's time to do something about it!
    Agree!! And it is not putting your head in the sand ( listening gtwarren1966??)
    Last edited by max2; 03-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

You need to consider. your purpose would be to educate others about what they don't care to know. Their purpose is to motivate others to do several things. one to think they are the company helping to save the bees. two to sell more of their product while looking like good guys and to some degree get people to make a difference. Gotto know how to achieve your goals.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

I'm looking at this as just one instance in many. My point isn't so much General Mills but what we see in the news etc. Research is funded by private donors and the 'gubment'. If the message to those prospective donors is climate change, habitat loss and chemical use there then would be very little hope of addressing the real problem. Randy Oliver wants the beekeeping community to work together to solve this problem. I'm sure this can be done with proper research and development. We can't do it alone. The problem is too big.

Once again if the people with money don't know about the real problem they are just throwing good money away and feeling good about donating.
    4a

Aroc, if the gubmint gets too involved with the honey bees, then they're already doomed.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Yeah, me too. We had an ice age a few 10,000 years ago, that I'm pretty sure wasn't caused by mankind. The rock we're spinning around on has gone through climate fluctuations since it was made. Yes I meant created, in case any of you were wondering. I'm all about being good stewards of the environment, but our government has wasted enough money studying something they don't understand, looking for an answer to something that really isn't a question.
    It's pretty simple. We have filled this planet with pollution and cut down most of forests. To think we have nothing to do with the well documented and accelerating climate change is ludicrous. Tell the native Americans that have hunted on the pack ice for thousands of years that it's a hoax. You can now take a cruise across the artic circle. It's scary how easily people are manipulated by their politicians.. There's my rant. Treehugging Republican...

It's time to introduce the public to the varroa INSTRUCTOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
    I'm looking at this as just one instance in many. My point isn't so much General Mills but what we see in the news etc. Research is funded by private donors and the 'gubment'. If the message to those prospective donors is climate change, habitat loss and chemical use there then would be very little hope of addressing the real problem. Randy Oliver wants the beekeeping community to work together to solve this problem. I'm sure this can be done with proper research and development. We can't do it alone. The problem is too big.

Once again if the people with money don't know about the real problem they are just throwing good money away and feeling good about donating.
    Then let the beekeeping community do that. But don't expect it of the general public. Don't expect the same message to the general public they don't have the same interest in the details as beekeepers. when talking to beekeepers then alter your message accordingly. when not. I suggest you do the same. The general public would not even be interested in most of what there is to say to beekeepers. It's called communication. It is not the ability to speak. it is the ability to speak a message that is understood by those listening. Most have their understanding of global warming. nearly none have any idea about Varroa. so by all means shut your audience down by mentioning it.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Just maybe beekeepers would want to get a bit if their story straight before they spend to much time trying to explain it to others. Besides you are talking about information that even a significant number of beekeepers are not interested enough in to listen to. Best to just let everyone think they are combating global warming and get them to toss a hand full of flower seeds around.

The general public does not invest in research. Wealthy politicians and corporations do. I'm sure the general public does not understand or care about a mite. However those with the cash that like to feel good about 'saving' something might as well have the proper information. I for one would be pissed to lay some money down on some ill informed researcher only to find out what they are working toward was known to be a waist.
    4a

Duplicate
    4a

So called research is used to convince the general public to give to a cause. valid or not. save the icebergs. And it becomes an industry of it's own. Proof to me that this is what is happening is they have to repackage the product. from Global Warming to Climate Change in order to keep selling it. So research is like an investment in the product in order to then promote and market it. In the expectation it will produce a profit. So I do see that it is the general public money behind the entire idea of Global Warming, climate change or whatever it is being called this week. Somebody figured out how to cash in on telling people ice melts. they also figured out how to cash in on selling people water in bottles, Pointing out that fire makes smoke. Good for them. they figured out that you can part a fool from their money. So you may be pissed. That does not mean you don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Yeah, me too. We had an ice age a few 10,000 years ago, that I'm pretty sure wasn't caused by mankind. The rock we're spinning around on has gone through climate fluctuations since it was made. Yes I meant created, in case any of you were wondering. I'm all about being good stewards of the environment, but our government has wasted enough money studying something they don't understand, looking for an answer to something that really isn't a question.
    I guess here but are sick of the " loss of habitat" too?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    Never seen one. Must be another Horse..?

Quote Originally Posted by SHAWHANBEEK View Post
    It's pretty simple. We have filled this planet with pollution and cut down most of forests. To think we have nothing to do with the well documented and accelerating climate change is ludicrous. Tell the native Americans that have hunted on the pack ice for thousands of years that it's a hoax. You can now take a cruise across the artic circle. It's scary how easily people are manipulated by their politicians.. There's my rant. Treehugging Republican...
    FWIW there are more trees on the planet than there were a century ago.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm glad for General Mills helping to raise awareness to the plight of the honeybee. But I think that an even better commitment on their part would be to commit/verify that the honey used to produce their products is untainted and solely produced by beekeepers here in the United States. It would be great to see that label on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    FWIW there are more trees on the planet than there were a century ago.
    Where are you getting those stats from?

You've just described how I feel about almost every environmental initiative.

Sounds good, feels good, pulls at your heartstrings to do something, but the "facts" are questionable, side effects are ignored, the results of NOT acting are always portrayed as some sort of cataclysmic event, and the relationship between what they are asking you to do and the beautiful outcome they portray are laughable at best.

Lately i've had people asking me about the honey bees being endangered after they read an article about "bees" being added to the endangered species list.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
    Couldn't believe what I was hearing. I love Honey Nut Cheerios. They have had a great campaign to 'bring back the bees'. Went so far as to give away wild flower seeds as part of this campaign. They announced that on an effort to raise awareness to the devastating bee loss they are going to remove 'Buzz' from their cereal boxes.

This is all great.

They then proceeded to list the statistics we all see about how much of our food we rely on to be pollinated by these magnificent creatures.

This too is great.

Then they lost me. They then listed the three main reasons for this bee population loss as.....
    Loss of habitat
    Climate change
    Use of chemicals

While I do believe these have sn impact on bee populations, I believe the single most deadly cause to bee loss is Varroa Destructor.

As beekeepers how do we hope to have any chance of a viable solution if the real problem is never acknowledged outside the industry. If money is being spent to save the bees on other things other than the real problem a real solution may never be found until it is too late.

Okay....done with rant
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast