Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rant!

Default Re: Rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Best to just let everyone think they are combating global warming and get them to toss a hand full of flower seeds around.
    If global warming/CO2 were really a problem, the easiest way to get rid of it is actually to chop forests down and bury them so they don't decompose.

That is a super fast and easy way to sequester carbon back into the ground after we dug it up in the form of oil.

But chopping down forests isn't snake oil sellable to the general public so we convince them that buying solar panels and "zero emission" cars are the solution.

BUYING THINGS is never a form of conservation.
    The bees are good at fixing my mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    How about we look at different way.

What do I want from my non-beekeeping neighbors ?

a) Planting for the bees, minimize use of weed killers, no bug sprays that harm bees

OR

b) Worry about varroa

The message has to be something that general public can relate to and can actually help us all with. They dont know varroa, they cannot control varroa. But they know these other things and everyone can help in that regard.

I personally prefer my neighbors to help with a) and I worry about dealing with b).

Hope that helps.
    great response

Quote Originally Posted by tanksbees View Post
    If global warming/CO2 were really a problem, the easiest way to get rid of it is actually to chop forests down and bury them so they don't decompose.

That is a super fast and easy way to sequester carbon back into the ground after we dug it up in the form of oil.

But chopping down forests isn't snake oil sellable to the general public so we convince them that buying solar panels and "zero emission" cars are the solution.

BUYING THINGS is never a form of conservation.
    The forests are what is pulling the CO2 out of the air. Your solution wont work very well and will contribute to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksbees View Post
    You've just described how I feel about almost every environmental initiative.

Sounds good, feels good, pulls at your heartstrings to do something, but the "facts" are questionable, side effects are ignored, the results of NOT acting are always portrayed as some sort of cataclysmic event, and the relationship between what they are asking you to do and the beautiful outcome they portray are laughable at best.

Lately i've had people asking me about the honey bees being endangered after they read an article about "bees" being added to the endangered species list.

Mark
    The problem is a matter of ignorance all around. People hear about indigenous bees being designated as being endangered and can't tell the difference between that and honey bees. Likewise, because people don't see immediate impacts of climate change and don't understand the science they say it's a hoax. In the long run it'll cost is a lot more than fixing it up front.

Apparently ours schools aren't doing a good job of educating people about science and thinking critically. Our politicians are falling down on the job if they think we can stay number one while they cut scientific research. In 50 years we'll be second class to the Chinese. They're already beating us in super computing because they think long term.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    FWIW there are more trees on the planet than there were a century ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    Where are you getting those stats from?
    I could not believe it so I looked it up.

It appears to be true but that's only half the truth;

"Yes! Really. This is very good news. Thanks in large part to sustainable harvesting practices and the creation of national parks, forest growth has been exceeding deforestation in the U.S. for decades."

"The world still has fewer trees than at any point in human history. Which isn't great."

http://www.upworthy.com/america-has-...-the-woods-yet

"However, in no way do the researchers consider this good news. The study also finds that there are 46 percent fewer trees on Earth than there were before humans started the lengthy, but recently accelerating, process of deforestation."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f1e69d08841e

It also appear it's quantity not quality.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wil...s-ago-its-true

In any event the extra trees are a good start. Which by the way are a direct result of a conservation movement to plant trees as they harvest them. Similar to the Cheerios campaign to save the bees.
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 03-21-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: link

so is a half truth this fake news everyone is talking about? lol

I think we as bee keepers forget how complicated bees and all the facets of them are. More then once I've been asked by intelligent college educated people what are the biggest factors of bee death. my "truth" response is of course "varroa....its a mite....kind of like a tick on people". if I try to explain more on it they glaze over. most regurgitate what they have heard or some portion of the poison, habitat, etc mantra. People in general can't understand complicated issues where many things affect something else. We unfortunately have become a nation of simpletons that can't process thoughts more complicated then the 30 seconds of details we get in the "breaking news".
    The example above is a great example. someone quoted something to suit the point instead of adding the full facts which someone else did. Most of the country does not care enough to understand and learn. i'd like this seed thing to be a success like those wrist bands where every single corporation gets in on it and keeps competing so eventually the bees benefit.
    Terrence - 2 full years....still a newb

Since this is pretty much Tailgater material, I think we should take it there or move on with beekeeping issues here.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    Where are you getting those stats from?
    It's hard to say with a high degree of certainty but certainly there are many more than some would believe.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...f3AOI/amp.html

And perhaps more than 100 years ago
    http://www.upworthy.com/america-has-...-the-woods-yet

I read and was fascinated by a book a number of years ago called Yellow Ore, Yellow Hair, Yellow Pine. In it, the author compares pictures of the Black Hills taken by the Custer Expedition and compared them to pictures taken a hundred years later. Almost without exception the pictures showed more pastures and fewer trees in 1876. Having lived in the plains states my entire life it got me thinking how this area used to be a vast treeless grassland until humans settled and began planting trees and shelter belts. Humans also fight to control most forest fires because they threaten our homes and safety.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Since this is pretty much Tailgater material, I think we should take it there or move on with beekeeping issues here.
    Yes, we've probably all ranted enough here already

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    FWIW there are more trees on the planet than there were a century ago.
    Big difference between trees and forests. Not too difficult to comprehend. Weather is not climate either...

Agreed....while it was my intent to have a discussion, it has morphed into a political discussion and I believe there are other forums for that.

Thank you all for your intense outlooks and opinions. It really would be a dull place we live if we all thought the same...
    4a

So much nuance gets lost in some of the advertising and "memes" about saving the bees. Not just about why the bees are going extinct, but also (as some people have chimed in) what kind of bees are going extinct! It's ALWAYS a picture of a honey bee, and it's always stuff about "X kinds of food will be absent from grocery stores once bees are gone" -- when half the time it's food that's only pollinated by honey bees (non native stuff that got brought to America with the colonists that honey bees were brought along with specifically because native bees didn't pollinate it.) And to me, the reasons given are sorta selfish -- like, we should only care about an animal going extinct if it directly affects us?

Honey bees aren't like pandas, they're easy to breed! Of course they have problems, of course beekeepers face problems, people should care about this and solve these problems, but.... Like, without even trying I heard about three different potential cut-outs in my area I could've gotten (got one ) I lost one hive, and then did a split, so ended up with two again. They're doing fine!

Anyway, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I just wanted to add my own rant. So many non-beekeeping friends keep thanking me for saving the bees, which is sorta awkward because the kind of bees I have don't really need saving. I think the best we can do is try to educate the public ourselves and try to correct well-meaning friends and family who have misconceptions. A lot of us have blogs or at least share our beekeeping pictures with interested friends, so I think maybe use that as a platform to talk about the issues honey bee keepers face and don't face.

Catchy slogans are a good start but I think that now that people have gotten the "Save the Bees" message, it's safe to get more detailed about the how/what/why of the issue without losing public interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
    Then they lost me. They then listed the three main reasons for this bee population loss as.....
    Loss of habitat
    Climate change
    Use of chemicals

While I do believe these have sn impact on bee populations, I believe the single most deadly cause to bee loss is Varroa Destructor.
    Maybe these things can't be separated so easily. Populations of any organism can be weakened by some things, allowing what would otherwise be a minor pest to kill it. Whole system health is the only thing that can solve the problem. If you just worry about varroa, maybe you miss that the hives that are lost to varroa may have been weakened by any number of other factors, allowing the varroa to build to a lethal problem?

I'm new to beekeeping, but I've seen this in vegetable gardening over the years. Raising vegetables in conditions where they can thrive to their full potential, rather than just "good enough" (adequate and appropriate organic fertilizer, right amount of water, enough sunlight, and enough space for the roots to grow without competition) they are left alone by pests, or they deal with minor pest infestations on their own. The same plant grown a few feet away that is crowded, given nitrogen-rich chemical fertilizer, etc is killed by aphids.

My point is that maybe by addressing the other issues, we build stronger populations of bees that can resist varroa more readily on their own, requiring less intervention from us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12