Default Cutout - need some suggestions.

ok, so I am on Nextdoor, and this young homeowner has bees under the siding on a 2 story brick veneer house, it is hardiboard siding above brick, bees between the floors. Her pest control company found it, wanted to cut out at a very high price, and told her to call a beekeeper.

She got on Next door, I'm making friends to help me pick up swarms (and find owners for stray dogs) and in the immediate area it is worth it for me to pick up swarms for free, I have outyards to populate.

and these bees have just moved in. Never been sprayed. (she accepted some honey so I believe that).

traffic volume not too high but, yeah, they are a little deeper in the house than appeared on the surface, definitely not as big as a full deep but a couple of years worth of small brood combs and short of major joist cutting I can't be 100% sure I got all the comb. Her budget isn't going for deeper cutting either.

so I got all the comb out that I could get to, vacced all the bees I was sure were hers before the robbers showed up, put some brood in a bait hive on the 5 ft scaffold, and brought the other bees home.

I know how to deal with the bees themselves, with no queen I will merge them with the small half of yesterday's split. I am letting her neighborhood bees rob out the honey comb that fell between the brick veneer and the wall sheathing. the chunks were small, if 8 oz of honey no more than that, and a jillion robbers as we are in drought.

I can: A. go back at dusk, spray soapy water on comb traces on wood and dump some in the wall, and close it up or

B. go back tomorrow at noon and do the same.

or C - got any suggestions? this place is built like a fortress, I need a snake light and a snake comb grabber, weaving between 2 inch openings above brick and below major joist, and then up another joist to what appears to be the hollow between the floors....

I let her wear a suit and watch when I opened the wall. She said it was the most amazing thing she has ever seen. (another bee addict is born?)
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Default Re: Cutout - need some suggestions.

If robber bees are robbing the last of this hive out I would let them finish. Might also bring bees back to rob it out. Depending on how much honey if left it could attract other pests.

Consulted local mentor and he suggested leaving open for 3 days to allow robbing. Someone has hives a quarter mile from her. We have been in dearth due to lack of rain so if a pound of honey I would be surprised
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

"I can't be 100% sure I got all the comb."
    This would be the part that worried me, because without knowing if there are additional eggs, larvae, bees, queen, etc. Leaving it open or closing it both have there pros and cons.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Between the floors as in joists? If so, what are the floor coverings like or ceiling below? Pics would bee so helpful next time.

I have an endoscope on the way, but there were not enough bees to justify going through inside the house 80% of the comb I removed was bone dry, and all the comb was less than half of a 5 gallon bucket. We are having spring drought. My bee camera's battery is dead and I can't find the charger. I ordered a camera type endoscope. The comb appears to be limited to between the outer framing, 2x8 or larger set vertically, 1st joist, and 2nd joist. It wasn't a very successful hive, did get maybe half a cup of brood out in small sections. Pics friday

couldn't get the endoscope software to look, I ordered the camera one and got the one that connects to a lap top. went back with a flashlight and long handled tools last night. No bees. very little remaining comb, my long spatula got it, it never got between joists, was outside of the first one. and the local bees cleaned everything. stuffed aquarium filter floss sheets in the gap so the house can breathe, and closed it up. I will be playing with the endoscope but I'm off bees and cleaning ponds now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    ok, so I am on Nextdoor, and this young homeowner has bees under the siding on a 2 story brick veneer house, it is hardiboard siding above brick, bees between the floors. Her pest control company found it, wanted to cut out at a very high price, and told her to call a beekeeper.
    Typically in these situations, these bees are best accessed from the interior of the home, through a ceiling.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

I don't think they had penetrated far enough to be located via a ceiling, they were between interior and exterior wall space, but I have since purchased an endoscope and I will be learning to use it.