Default Worker bees kicking out the drones in February?!

Worker bees kicking out the drones in March?!

A swarm moved into a deep that I set up as a swarm trap last September. It survived the winter and filled up the whole deep so I added a second deep on top in February.

Last week I moved the two deeps to a new location 15 miles away.

This week I went to check and opened up the hive for an inspection. I noticed many dead drones in front of the hive and also saw worker bees dragging out drones. Spring just started here, so why were the worker bees kicking out the drones?

I also found 3 capped queen cells inside and fresh lay eggs, but did not find the queen. The bees were not building combs on the top deep. It still had a lot of bees so I didn't think that it had swarmed. So does that mean the queen cells were for superseding the old queen and not for swarming?

I'm in Northern California.

Default Re: Worker bees kicking out the drones in February?!

All I could do would be to guess, but first, are there capped drone brood cells present?
    Lots of stores, or few stores?
    Are there any opened queen cells?
    If you have fresh laid eggs, you probably have a queen present, the remaining queen cells may be duds. ( or not) ( candle them with a flash light?)
    Since the hive now has a laying queen, it no longer needs the drones?
    I would consider moving the fames with queen cell into nuc boxes, making sure to leave one in the mother hive, since you can not find the queen.
    be sure each box also has what it needs to make a new queen from scratch if the cell is a dud.
    Or, do nothing & just watch. What ever route you take, good luck ! CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

when we go into drought and I am not feeding, the hives throw out the drones, signaling me to put on the feed jars
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by tech.35058 View Post
    All I could do would be to guess, but first, are there capped drone brood cells present?
    Lots of stores, or few stores?
    Are there any opened queen cells?
    If you have fresh laid eggs, you probably have a queen present, the remaining queen cells may be duds. ( or not) ( candle them with a flash light?)
    Since the hive now has a laying queen, it no longer needs the drones?
    I would consider moving the fames with queen cell into nuc boxes, making sure to leave one in the mother hive, since you can not find the queen.
    be sure each box also has what it needs to make a new queen from scratch if the cell is a dud.
    Or, do nothing & just watch. What ever route you take, good luck ! CE
    You were right. The honey stores were low; only about 1 frame and a half.

I didn't see any open queen cell. And I did move one capped queen cell to a nuc box and left the other two in place. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    when we go into drought and I am not feeding, the hives throw out the drones, signaling me to put on the feed jars
    We are supposedly in the spring flow now. If the bees still do not finding nectar, I'll have to feed them. Thanks.