Default New to beekeeping

Starting this spring. Booked my course, made my list of hive, clothing, tools, etc. Have my Nuc reserved. Have the perfect location by a stream and property full of clover.
    Have I missed anything???

Default Re: New to beekeeping

Sounds like you will know enough to be dangerous... haha.... keep reading, watching and learning. The real learning, however, will come once you get your hives. Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by IsedHooah View Post
    Sounds like you will know enough to be dangerous... haha.... keep reading, watching and learning. The real learning, however, will come once you get your hives. Good luck to you!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredguy View Post
    Starting this spring. Booked my course, made my list of hive, clothing, tools, etc. Have my Nuc reserved. Have the perfect location by a stream and property full of clover.
    Have I missed anything???

Yes, get at least one more hive.

Could you please tell me why?

I ask because I am new and a second hive represents a significant cost.

Yes, because if one hive is weak you can use resources from the other hive to help the weak hive. Maybe one hive loses it's queen and for whatever reason cannot make a new queen. You can use brood with eggs from another hive and give to the queenless hive. You can also give a weak hive a boost with brood from a strong hive. You can't do any of that with one hive.

Couple reasons to start with two. First, you can gauge how each hive is doing in comparison to the other. Second, and more importantly, the best solution for most common problems you may run into is adding brood to a weak hive...a second hive gives you that option.

The more hives I got the better I kept bees...not because I'm necessarily better at it, it is just that I have so many more options to help (even in fixing my own buffoonery).

Quote Originally Posted by Shredguy View Post
    Could you please tell me why?
    A basic reason to start with two hives is so that you can compare the two. As you are new to this, you might not be able to spot something wrong in a single hive; but you most likely will be able to spot a difference between the two hives and identify a problem. If you have a mentor that will be helping you regularly, a second hive might not be necessary for this reason. I would agree with gtwarren on the benefits of having a second hive for resources as well.

Even with a mentor I suggest two hives. Often a beginner cannot detect a problem until it has become a matter of dyer straights, and the only way to correct it is with resources, some resources are not easily attainable. Having them in a neighboring hive can make all the difference between success and failure.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com