Thread: cedar hives

Default cedar hives

I've seen that some people build their hives out of cedar, but I thought that the oils in cedar were really bad for animals? We build closets and trunks and things out of cedar to keep moths out of our clothes, so why doesn't this affect our bees?

Default Re: cedar hives

Quote Originally Posted by kzimmerman View Post
    I've seen that some people build their hives out of cedar, but I thought that the oils in cedar were really bad for animals? We build closets and trunks and things out of cedar to keep moths out of our clothes, so why doesn't this affect our bees?
    I don't know whether it does or why it doesn't if it doesn't. I have removed a feral colony from a cedar tree. I know of at least two other cedar bee trees. I've seen swarm clusters in cedar trees. I use cedar swarm traps successfully. All of my hive boxes are cedar except for a couple of cypress boxes. I am treatment free.
    David. "Iím only a very stubborn beekeeper, who has decided to stop treatments. Thatís all." Juhani Lunden

Cedar doesn't harm moths. It only kills moth larvae, and only freshly hatched larvae, older larvae are not affected by it. Also not all moth larvae are affected, for example coddling moth is not harmed by cedar. It does not appear to harm other insect larvae.
    Zone 5B

Thanks for the replies! I was wondering if the oils in cedar could weaken a colony, and if anybody that has cedar hives may have noticed that they have more problems with varroa mites and the such. I've heard that lowes currently has a sale on 1x8x12 cedar boards that would be great to make mediums out of, just a little worried as a new beekeeper that the cedar could cause some problems. What about the frames? Anybody built frames out of cedar?

I posted about the cedar boards being on sale. Seems it is only at the store in towson, md. I figured it was at all stores since they are nationwide. They won't honor the price at the other stores. I made 8 boxes out of some of the boards i bought.

Maybe other lowes won't honor the price, but home depot will