Default Hive swarmed twice in 3 days?

My father's hive, the one we put in a captured swarm and was dong very well has swarmed twice in three days. First time was Friday afternoon and we found the swarm about 30 yards or so from the hive on a peach tree. We had already put up a spare hive and had it ready so we shook them off the trunk and dumped them in the new hive. They look like they are doing well. Then this afternoon I got a call that he had another swarm in about the same area, only about 20 foot east of the last swarm on a pomegranate bush. Since I had an empty hive we clipped the bush limbs and set them in a plastic box and I drove to my place and put them in an empty hive. We looked in the viewing glass of his first hive and there was a lot less bees in it, though it still appears very strong and still a lot of bees. Before they swarmed there was probably not a single square inch that did not have a bee crawling on it. They have enough room to build about 10-12 more combs, so they had room, just seems they had a lot of bees. Then two days later they did it again, still looks like plenty of bees, just not as many as before.

Is this normal?

Thanks

Default Re: Hive swarmed twice in 3 days?

How do you know they are all from the same hive ?

Strong hives do issue multiple swarms each subsequent one with virgin queens. Last year, I had atleast 4 nice queen cells in the hive at the first swarm. I had feeling they were going to for second swarm, so I inspected the hive. To my amazement, they had a virgin queen running around, AND another queen cell almost open but bees holding the virgin inside.

I moved the frame with the queen cell to another box and in less than a minute, virgin got out of the cell.

If they are holding multiple virgin queens in the cells, they are going to issue multiple swarms. If I were you, I would inspect the hive and make splits, making best of the situation.

Default Re: Hive swarmed twice in 3 days?

Reason I'm 99% sure they came from the one hive is there aren't any other hives around and we've kept a close watch on them and there numbers appeared to go down a bit after each swarm, still a lot of bees in there though.

Management is an issue, this is my father's hive and he's old school and didn't want any going in the hive so everything is cross combed and it'd be a PITA and cause a ruckus to mess with the brood frames. We did capture and hive both swarms, he got one and I got one so we'll see how they go.

Thanks