Default Drawn Comb Dilemma

The bees made quite a bit of drawn comb last year but I still don't have enough to super all my hives completely. I am wanting to see what everyone else has done in similar circumstances. I have a couple ways I could go. One is to fill up as many hive bodies as I can with drawn comb and when I run out use foundation in the rest and hope the bees draw it out as they need it. Or I might put every other frame as drawn comb and that would give me more supers with at least some drawn comb. Or would you put say 3 drawn combs side by side in the middle of each super and fill around ether sides with foundation? I am not sure which would be the best way or does it really matter?

Default Re: Drawn Comb Dilemma

Three in the center, rest just foundation
    Habitually learning...

Thumbs Up Re: Drawn Comb Dilemma

One work around was suggested by Matt DAvey, Here. Study it, it works for more than swarm prevention/delay.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

I am running into a similar situation . as a new beek lack of drawn comb is my biggest problem .
    My 1st year I started with a long Lang hive , and they drew a lot of comb . it was easy to work , and I just left a 1G jar of 1:1 in the back of the hive and every week I would pop the top and drop in undrawn frames into the brood nest and they would draw them out quickly . The problem was the long lang did not over winter well and the bees died .

The next year I switched to standard langs 8 frame deep boxed , and the bees have survived the winter , However I noticed that they did not draw as much comb as the previous year in the long lang . my original 4 frame nuc in the long lang drew out almost 14 frames of comb . In the standard lang configuration they only drew-out a few frames per colony .

This year my plan is to run a couple of long lang hives as comb builders , then split them up in mid summer ( july ) into nucs and over winter them in 4 over 4 configurations .

my hope is that this will enable me to get enough drawn comb to keep expanding .
    so far 3 of 5 hives seem to have made it . the 2 that i think are dead were weak combines which I did not expect to make it any way . I will use the frames in the dead-outs to make some spring splits and keep building .

Or would you put say 3 drawn combs side by side in the middle of each super and fill around ether sides with foundation?

Yep, that's what I'd do.

>Or would you put say 3 drawn combs side by side in the middle of each super and fill around ether sides with foundation?

Yes.

> I am not sure which would be the best way or does it really matter?

It matters. If you go every other one they will fatten the drawn comb and ignore the foundation. The fat combs will prevent you pulling the frames of foundation back out...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >It matters. If you go every other one they will fatten the drawn comb and ignore the foundation. The fat combs will prevent you pulling the frames of foundation back out...
    I learned this the hard way and it hurts your feelings when you have to cut away all that pretty new drawn comb or worse, it gets ripped apart when trying to get it out.

Side note: 3 hives, all survived. So far...
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    One work around was suggested by Matt DAvey, Here. Study it, it works for more than swarm prevention/delay.
    Yes...I have read this before but I don't hear many bee keeps using this method but maybe they do but don't say much. It was interesting though. Thanks

Thanks for the answers. I was thinking 3 or 4 combs side by side would be better. Some of my comb is drawn out kind of funky or just half drawn out will they repair or continue building out these combs. Would you put the good combs intermingled with the bad?

I would cut out any places that are bad and intermingle those with good combs.

Another reason to keep Nucs in my veiw. Two story's high. Pull drawen frames or frames of brood what ever the main hive needs. With flow I bet you could pull five frames a week.

>I learned this the hard way and it hurts your feelings when you have to cut away all that pretty new drawn comb or worse, it gets ripped apart when trying to get it out.

Next time, if there is one, flip the box upside down and remove the box first. Then pull the frames from the ends.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF