Default How long does a mite live?

I'm not asking for it's life cycle but more of how long does one live before it dies of old age? Do we know? I've tried looking it up but all I can find is information on its life cycle.

The reason I ask is when we are looking at a sticky board how many mites may be dead as a result of old age and not necessarily a result of any treatment we may have done?
    4a

Default Re: How long does a mite live?

A couple of references are in this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-mite-lifespan

Update:
    Well, the Clemson page linked in that thread is dead, but the UFL link is still viable.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks...kind of answers my question. 27 days unless brood isn't present. Then several months.
    4a

I guess here's the reason I ask. I treated for mites last year with Apivar at the end of the season. I saw a lot of mites on the bottom board and landing when I did that. I also treated with a single OAV in late December. Yesterday I went into the hive and discovered a ton of bees. Much more than I had expected.

Along with cleaning things up and reversing the brood boxes I replaced the old bottom board with a screened bottom board/solid bottom board so could monitor mites a bit better.

Today I thought I should go out and spray some cooking oil on the plastic tray. When I pulled it out I noticed a bunch of mites on the tray that definitely were dead.

I'm planing on a 4 week OAV treatment starting tomorrow but I'm a bit confused as to where these mites came from. Could they be from last years treatment that became dislodged when I moved things around?

Could I have a mite infestation that bad already? I know the Apivar worked. I think my hive wouldn't have made the winter as well as they did if it hadn't.
    4a

I don't know what the weather has been like in your area, or if bees are even flying, but if they are, perhaps the mites came from robbing out other hives in the area that died from mite infestation???

Quote Originally Posted by orthoman View Post
    I don't know what the weather has been like in your area, or if bees are even flying, but if they are, perhaps the mites came from robbing out other hives in the area that died from mite infestation???
    Interesting thought. It has just started warming up. No real flying weather up until about a week to 10 days ago. They do have a lot of honey. Not sure of any hives close enough to rob.
    4a

We never kill all the mites. We only reduce their numbers. So you still had mites.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGun View Post
    We never kill all the mites. We only reduce their numbers. So you still had mites.
    I was just surprised to see so many dead ones without any treatment on a tray that didn't have any 'sticky' on it in only a 24 hour period.
    4a

Still confused. I put the sticky board on yesterday....Sunday....today I checked it and found about 4 mites on it.

It's as though my digging through the hive caused mites to drop which I don't understand. When I checked the board before I sprayed it with cooking oil a 24 hour period saw about 20 or 30.....
    4a

Who knows - perhaps is was your manipulations, perhaps you just had a lot of brood hatch out and the new mites were leaving the cells and were falling off

I think it also points out that trying to use the sticky board to monitor mite counts isn't very representative -- that is why the alcohol wash and the powerded sugar shake method are the preferred method.

Also, any time frame less than 3 days is probably meaningless for sticky boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
    Interesting thought. It has just started warming up. No real flying weather up until about a week to 10 days ago. They do have a lot of honey. Not sure of any hives close enough to rob.
    The dead mites could of ended up in empty cells after your last treatments and over winter, now the bees are expanding and becoming more active they are cleaning out these cells ready to use and, removing any dead mites as they do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
    Thanks...kind of answers my question. 27 days unless brood isn't present. Then several months.
    If this is true we would have zero mites after the winter here in Finland. We have at least 50 days of no brood and october-december, february very little brood. The total broodless petiod is in december and january.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunajavelho View Post
    If this is true we would have zero mites after the winter here in Finland. We have at least 50 days of no brood and october-december, february very little brood. The total broodless petiod is in december and january.
    ?? Do you think 50 days is longer than several months?

Here is the original quote that Aroc was referring to in his comment ...
    The phoretic period may last 4.5 to 11 days when brood is present in the hive or as long as five to six months during the winter when no brood is present in the hive. Consequently, female mites living when brood is present in the colony have an average life expectancy of 27 days, yet in the absence of brood, they may live for many months.

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/...arroa_mite.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Hunajavelho View Post
    oops, my bad. did not notice the "then several months".