Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opossum attack

Default Re: opossum attack

I expected that recipe to end with "then throw away the possum and eat the board," but it didn't. There wasn't even a mention of the board.

We have a electric fence setup, might just wrap some wire down low around the hives and turn it on. A few good zaps and it won't be back.
    I have been watching it eat dead bees for months now, almost every night, this was the first hive attack.
    Zone 6b: 10 hives in Maryland, 8 Carniolan 2 swarm mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

When I am not to lazy, I trap them, shoot them and throw them in the woods and let nature take its course.
    gww
    zone 5b

That was some recipe. If the economy gets bad I'll be looking it up again.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

My trapper friend from Maryland says that it is not legal to relocate trapped fur bearers in Maryland unless you relocate to your own property which is sort of pointless.

Kill and eat it. Tastes like chicken. Goes good with golf eggs. lol
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    That was some recipe. If the economy gets bad I'll be looking it up again.
    You got'em in Fort Worth too (used to live there, still have family on the west side). You call'em armadillos, that's just a opossum on the half shell down here!!!!

Calling Andrew Zimmern...

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I expected that recipe to end with "then throw away the possum and eat the board," but it didn't. There wasn't even a mention of the board.
    Possum is survival food, when the masses are starving some of us will be eating good!!!!

No possums here but lots of skunks and racoons. Have had a few messing with our hives. If you live trap them here they have to be released back where you trapped them.....agree kinda pointless...or they have to be euthanized. They consider it cruel to move them away from the only food sources they know. Lots of DNR guys trap on the side for spree cash and if caught releasing elsewhere will lose their trapping licence. When on the job it's the same....euthanize or leave them.
    Zone 5B and waiting. 29m

Quote Originally Posted by GSkip View Post
    Possum is survival food, when the masses are starving some of us will be eating good!!!!
    There are over 100 million guns in this country. When the masses are starving there wont be any possums left for long.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    There are over 100 million guns in this country. When the masses are starving there wont be any possums left for long.
    That's a good point. Don't say that too loud some Washington liberal try to pass new gun legislation based on "Save the Opossum"!!!!

You know, if all he was doing was eating dead bees off the ground, he was probably doing you a service and helping prevent disease. Too bad he went for the gold!

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    You know, if all he was doing was eating dead bees off the ground, he was probably doing you a service and helping prevent disease. Too bad he went for the gold!
    It has kept the bee yard clean of any little dead bees. I think I will try the electric fence method first. I have trouble killing anything. A few wires across the front entrances to the hives. We have the wire the controller and even have it set up, just not in use right now.

We are not home,, goofing off in Cancun, but will make it a priority job we get back. So are it has not attacked them again.
    Zone 6b: 10 hives in Maryland, 8 Carniolan 2 swarm mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Opossums are one of the worst predators on wild turkey nests. I LOVE to turkey hunt so no opossums are "relocated" here. Plus as others have said when you relocate them you are just dumping your problem on someone else's doorstep. Shoot it, tell no one and forget about it. You are only breaking a game law if someone else knows about it, otherwise it never happened. If you don't want to kill it and waste it feed it to your chickens. My girls will pick a carcass clean in no time. Cancun huh? Good for you! High of 38 today here .

I killed a possum the other day because it was getting in my chicken nest boxes and eating eggs. I heard that they could eat chickens, too. But I regret killing it later, should have just trapped it.
    I have read they are not likely to have rabies, something about their immune system.
    In Georgia, there are plenty of folks that would want to eat one, another reason just to trap them.

I have read in books that the possum behavior you are describing is pretty typical, and skunks will do the same thing. Basically, knock on the hive and eat the bees that come out.

From the image of your video, looks like what you need to do is prevent the possum from getting up on that board. If it has to stand up to eat the bees, it won't bother because its belly will be exposed to stings. Make the board smaller? or inaccessible; someone else in this thread mentions a carpet tack strip on the landing board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12