Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: PSA: Inspect your suit! And Dadant replacement veils?

I take my veil off to wash mine, but I have read that you can fold the veil down inside the suit and zip the suit closed and wash it. That does make sense, I just haven't tried it.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

depends on your washer. Fancy new no agitator front loader, sure. My washer with center agitator would still tear up the veil / framing
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Bees inside my veil.
    A sting is coming, but when?
    Peace is hard to find.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    I want you to look closely at this zipper. See the "stop"?
    Wish you were right but you're not.
    If not for that stop I'd have lost the zipper pull a long time ago.
    To get it off I'd need to take my zipper to the grinder or use a file.
    Attachment 31624
    The opposite side has a pinch-on stop. If I want to remove the veil I'd have to remove the pinch and then reinstall it with plyers later.
    This is not my first rodeo and have repaired zippers before. It's not impossible but not as simple as you think.

Here is the zipper stop. To get the zipper off I'd need to either cut it off or pry it open with tiny plyers or a pair of diagonal cutters (dikes). That little stop thing is the key to getting the zipper slides off and how to get the veil off my jacket.
    Attachment 31625
    Looking at these photos and if the two small ones are of your veil. I say the veil comes off. Bring both pulls to the end in your top photo. one side will slide free just like the sipper on your coat. Both slides have to be at that end for it to release though. First slide closes the zipper second opens it again and allows it to slide out. It sides through both pulls at once.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Aunt betty, that veil comes off. You zipper looks EXACTLY like mine. You have to get both pull tabs around to the side with those solid metal pieces on it. I'm no zipper authority, I don't know what they are called. When you push both zipper pulls together, at the end, the zipper will slip out of the pulls. I don't think I would have ever figured out how to take mine off if I hadn't seen a youtube video. It has to be EXACTLY right to come out and go back in, but it can be done and it really isn't hard, just have to line everything up just right.

EDIT TO ADD: Mine has a metal zipper, like yours. I can't find the video I watched a couple years ago, but this one shows basically how it's done. It's not near as descriptive as the one I originally saw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw8Ind95_xc
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

If a replacement veil is not available I bet you that most competent seamstress/tailors can disassemble it, replace the screening and sew it back together using the original zippers.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheWaterbug View Post
    If I'd just damaged one portion of it I'd just sew it up. But I'm afraid that the hot water has made all the mesh brittle. There are holes in several places. Even if I were to sew them all up, I just wouldn't trust it, and I need to have a reliable suit for this requeening procedure.
    I tried sewing up all the holes in the veil, but I gave up after 20 minutes. There are just too many holes.

I have ordered a replacement veil for Dadant, but they're back-ordered, with no estimated ship date.

I really needed to install two queens, so I used my "cheap" suit that I normally use for visitors. The velcro over the zipper closings isn't nearly as good as on my Dadant suit. I was fine until I opened the stack of 3 mediums, and then I was completely covered with bees, and a couple of them got inside. I got stung on the back of my head, which is far better than on my eyebrow. But that's 3 weeks in a row that I've been stung inside my suit.

And whenever I get bees inside my suit I lose my head completely, and it's really hard to focus on what needs to get done. I'd planned on going through the 3 mediums, frame by frame, to kill the queen, but I just didn't have the guts to go through it. I was able to split it into 3, so in a few days I'll see if I can go through those single mediums without getting stung.

I could really use a reliable bee suit right about now.
    Painted Peacock Manor, Palos Verdes, CA

For holes in the screen hood, go to the hardware store and get those nylon "screen window patches." Stick right on, work like a charm.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

If you have someone who can sew, get a piece of window screen and replace the screening on the one with the holes.
    I was given one 2 years ago and my daughter swapped it for me.
    My son had it on the other day and said the screen looked funny.
    It had been put in the dryer and melted a little.
    No holes though, because he SWELLS big time.
    Zone 6b 1400'

I am not so sure it was the washing that made the screen brittle. The screen in my daughters veil came brittle. It was more of a plastic mesh then the fiberglass mesh of my suit. On another issue with screen material. the fiberglass mesh of my veil tends to fade to grey or even white with time as it does it gets harder to see through. Black is easier to see through by the way. So I took a permanent marker and dyed it back to black. worked just fine.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12