Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Nosema Sequential Sampling

Ian, could you you include the power of magnification used for your photomicrographs? Or, do you have a calibrated grid you can superimpose? It might help in identification.

Crazy Roland

Roland it's 400x, contents of my bees intestinal tract.
    Some bees are littered with these objects , others nothing. Randy mentions an egg yoke looking object to be rust yeast. Does this match rust yeast or as Michael suggested, simply pollen?
    This is my first time using a microscope since grade 11 Bio class... lol
    A Facebook friend suggested using a drop of iodine and a thinner sample to help define the slide sample.

One bee Chalk full,

Ian, streaking was in style last time I looked thru a microscope. I can dig out my microbiology book tomorrow and try to jog some brain cells. Of the top of my head, various stains where use, such as Gram's and Picric acid. It helped determine what the blob might be.

Do you see any surface irregularities? They looked smoth to me.

Crazy Roland

I have a slide for you Roland , just give me a moment to load it.
    I've picked up a bunch of stuff chatting with guys about micro organisms.
    The pic earlier is half digested pollen, as Michael Palmer suggested. The pic I posted up top is one absolutely full of nosema spores. Typically don't see them that full, took a pic as my trophy lol

The yellow yoke looking objects... I've gotten a few diagnosis ( hard diagnosing with unfocused pics on the Internet)
    Either rust yeast, Nigel rein whatever that means or crithidia
    All not good, but what can you do... looks cool
    I just see these guys occasionally

Crithidia are protozoans. They can be a problem in the wet areas like on the West Coast especially in the winter. They prevent bees from fully digesting the pollen they consume. This in turn does not allow bees to make good jelly for feeding larvae. Apparently the acidic content of honey prevents crithidia and other protozoans from reproducing and thriving. That is why in our case bees that goto Allberta for a honey flow do just fine in the winter. The ones that stay here don't always do great. They survive ok, but are not boiling at the seams like some of the Alberta bees do. All this informtion is verbatim from Caspian Apiaries.

Still waiting for signs of warmth and a descent pollen flow.

Jean-Marc

Ian - how difficult would it be for you to obtain a small quantity if Gram's stain?

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

The background level of nosema in my hives is tremendous yet the visual symptoms of the infection has basically disappeared. Lab testing proves that almost the entire nosema infection is Ceranae.
    Existing Sampling and spore counting of various test groups shows such inconsistent results that I can't make sense of anything. So I'm officially scrapping composite Sampling and spore counts.
    I've been reading Randy Oliver's work on Sequential Sampling for some time now but I have not adopted his method due to time and equipment needed...until now. Hello compound microscope, hello new options.

Sequential Sampling ;
    0 positive bees out of 5, or no more than 1 positive out of 10 indicates < 10% infection

3 positive bees out of 5, or at least 4 positives out of 10 indicates > 30% infection

need to know is one of two things—are your bees in the “safe” zone (under 20% infected) or in the danger zone (over 40% infected).

I may not be seeing any of the old visual symptoms, except the count of empty boxes. 10% loss assessment (estimated) in the shed right now. Now to figure if the smaller hives are dwindling due to hives falling into the danger zone and if those big clusters actually hold infection or not.

Omano OM136C 40X-400X Compound Microscope with 1.3MP Digital Camera Package
    Pretty sweet listed on sale at $238
    Hey Ian, where did you pickup this microscope? I looked on Amazon canada, but couldn't find any. Microscope.com has decent deals, but shipping from the states is $100+.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Ian - how difficult would it be for you to obtain a small quantity if Gram's stain?

Crazy Roland
    My cousin is a vet so I'm sure he has stains or dyes on hand. I'll track some down. Do you have experience with staining samples? Because I don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybee Apiaries View Post
    Hey Ian, where did you pickup this microscope? I looked on Amazon canada, but couldn't find any. Microscope.com has decent deals, but shipping from the states is $100+.
    Thanks in advance.
    MB, it cost me $90 shipping after exchange.
    The microscope I bought here is excellent, the digital is useful for a guy like me who likes to take pics and show anyone who listens,...lol
    I think the binocular would be nice, but whatever, I don't plan on spending my life behind one.

Ian asked"

Do you have experience with staining samples? Because I don't have any.

Oh sure, but that was back when Pintos, Vegas, and Beetles ruled the roads, and gas was expensive at 85 cents a gallon. I found my Microbiology book and realized I had forgotten more than I currently know.

I will read more tomorrow and report back with suggestions. It was not hard, if you have all of the ingredients.

What illumination does you microscope come with? Any polarizing filters or other gadgets? It may determine what route is best.

Crazy Roland

Lol, ... I am good at picking out nosema spores...
    I wasn't sure what those polarizing filters did,

I've been told that those yellow egg looking yoke objects look like oil or fat.

Interesting thread this Ian, it confirms my suspicions that Beekeepers the world over do not do much microscope work and as you rightly say assume/blame outside influence on colony state of health, I thought it was just the UK that has this attitude

There should be a selective stain for lipid(oils). I will look in my textbook tomorrow.

Crazy Roland

>>>For what it’s worth; <<<

After running my nosema samples through Sequential Sampling to determine my apiarie’s 10% infection rate (safe zone), I gathered the remaining bees from each sample into a composite sample and sent them away for couunts at the NBDC. My counts have returned.
    Of the 10% infected bees, my non treatment infected bees held a lower count (2m counts) as compared to my fumagillin treated infected bees (10m spore counts). Also my Thymol control group infected bees counted 7m spores. So to summarize from this, my apiary holds a low nosema infection rate (6-10% across the ALL test groups), but of those infected bees the non treatment group held lower actual counts than the treated groups. The low infection rate but higher counts per infected bee is why my samples come back so high yet my apiary seems to perform well. I need to watch my Infection rate, if it starts to climb up past 30% my apiary performance may suffer. But I don’t know what I would do about it. If my fumagillin trial tells me anything, treatment only makes Infection worst…

http://stepplerfarms.com/Honeyblog/?p=7826

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Why bother? >>To know<<

Here are my too common conversations with beekeepers of all stripes;

"... my hives crashed because of farmers..."
    "...what's your disease levels and conditions?"
    "...I don't know but that farmer sprays around here..."

We need to put more effort into knowing our hives conditions to be able to properly diagnose their troubles. EVERY other industry does it...beekeepers assume too much
    Ian thanks for your response and I agree on the being informed. Are you treating for Nosema? Certain threshold? Treatment of choice?

All questions with no answers
    And IMO a huge issue which few take seriously

seems to be a case of , damned if you do and damned if you don't

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast