Default swarm entrance on bottom?

Hello everyone,
    This year I'm doing swarm traps and 5-frame deep nucs. I won't to keep my equipment as interchangeable as possible, so im using the nucs as swarm traps as well. I don't really want a hole in the nuc boxes so i was wondering if anyone has drilled the hole on the bottom/floor of the trap. I figure in nature the have entrances on the bottom so it really shouldn't matter. just seeing what you'll think.
    bb

Default Re: swarm entrance on bottom?

I think you are right, it won't matter to the bees...what is convenient for your beekeeping methods and philosophy will drive the design.

Why/how is your swarm trap different from your normal nucs. The only difference between my normal equipment and swarm traps (except the mounting 2x 4) is the top and bottom are screwed on.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

My experience is very limited. I tried swarm traps/bait hives last year and I put an entrance hole in the bottom board to keep from placing the hole in the hive body. That's what you're getting at, isn't it?
    I observed scouts checking out the traps and at one time was sure I was about to trap a swarm, but alas, they did not take up residence. This year I'm going to use a hole saw on the hive body and reinsert it when I use it as hive. Wish me luck and I wish you the same.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm

It sounds like my swarm traps are just like yours, but my nucs are set up on 10 frame bb modified to fit two nucs side by side. And one lid covers both nucs. But for convience I want to just slap a piece of plywood on the bottom of nucs.

That shouldn't be any problem. I understand not wanting to drill the box. Drilling the hole in the bottom shouldn't hurt at all, and the bees will be fine with that. I find a 7/8" hole works great.

I caught 15 swarms last season in swarm boxes.

Adam