Thread: Feeders

Default Feeders

This will be my first summer as a beekeeper. I am ordering equipment this weekend. What feeders to you guys like? What are the pro's and cons of each type? The Boardman feeders look the simplest but I hear that it causes robbing. What about the frame style feeders and the top feeders? I don't like the idea of a frame feeder taking up valuable frame space so I'm leaning towards a Mann Lake top Feeder. Does this design do a good job at preventing drowning?

Thanks.

Default Re: Feeders

For a handful of hives, I like the inverted quart jar on the cover. It is easy, and I can monitor their intake without opening the hive. When I Stop feeding I just put a board to cover the hole until I make a inspection and change to a normal top cover. Or several jars over a queen excluder inside a super with the top cover enclosing it all (used this for hives that needed to consume more.) Never had problem with robbing using these. More than a handful of hives, a top feeder built into a super similar to the one used by the FatBeeMan.
    Last edited by B52EW; 02-17-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: additional info

I do not use frame feeders Because I want the bees to fill as many frames as possible. When my hives are strong and I want them to sock in stores I use top feeders because I can add 2 gallons at a time. When I am nursing nucs or just want to get small hives through I use Boardman feeders above the inner cover inside an empty box. I have even used Quail feeders in place of Boardman. It all depends on the circumstances

b52 and ten bears have good answers. for fall feeding the mann-lake ones are a best choice, fast feeding to fill drawn comb. for spring and summer i like mason jars, this is slower and promotes comb building. the frame feeders require you to open the hive to refill them. some migratory commercial operators like them because they just leave them in all the time. so the 10 frame deeps are really 8 frame plus a feeder in a 10 frame box, this is ok for southern wintering. there is less equipment swapping.