Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitting Bees

Default Bitting Bees

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-as-sting.html

Now here is a trait I'd like to incorporate into my Bee stock
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Re: Bitting Bees

Squarepeg, of you notice any of these traits in your survival stock?

So, I am assuming that there are too many mites to bite? Otherwise, varroa mites would never be a problem according to the study.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Squarepeg, of you notice any of these traits in your survival stock?
    i haven't been looking ian, perhaps i should be.

i've been meaning to contact our leading agricultural university to see if there there might be a potential thesis or dissertation worthy project for studying these bees, as well as get samples down to the research center in baton rouge, but i just haven't had the time to make those things happen yet.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Moutain state queens is working the body biting trait with bees breed down from red line italians,,, there claims sound good on paper thats all i know about it

It would be extremely interesting (to me) which mechanisms your Bee stock are employing to achieve their perceived coexistence.
    I know it all takes time.
    Do you run sticky boards? Do you have a microscope?

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Moutain state queens is working the body biting trait with bees breed down from red line italians,,, there claims sound good on paper thats all i know about it
    Why the red line Italians I wonder.

Do you run sticky boards? Do you have a microscope?
    neither.

it's within the realm of possibility that other factors such as mite traits, virus strains, nutrition, brood breaks in winter and summer, ect. may be just as or even more important than the bee traits.

that's why i would like to have a more comprehensive study of these colonies performed, the kind that only universities and research centers can do, and why using more global metrics makes more sense for my selection process.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Why the red line Italians I wonder.
    Thay were observed as having a wood chewing habits thus strong mandapals. The claims are thay attack mite bodys vs ankle / leg biting

Checking for mite biting seems relatively easy to do. I don't have the results yet, but when my bees were sampled. A thin board, wax paper taped on, wax paper covered with petroleum jelly. A rubber mesh on top of that so the bees could walk on, but the mites could fall through. This set up inserted on the bottom board for 3 days. Mites collected are looked at under a microscope for damage.

Ian there are some interesting things afoot on the Canadian scene. I'm guessing there will be lots of interesting bees with known traits going forward. I haven't checked but it wouldn't surprise me if some queen lines of the Saskatraz bees had the biting trait. I've heard rumours of it. Maybe talk to them.

Was interesting to watch - Ghosts In The Hive from National Honey Show - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE4emUMyOWs

You have to see / sense the thing before you can get rid of it. So good number of coordinated things has to come together into one bee.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    it's within the realm of possibility that other factors such as mite traits, virus strains, nutrition, brood breaks in winter and summer, ect. may be just as or even more important than the bee traits.
    One of the reasons that your posts tend to be respected. Open minded.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Thay were observed as having a wood chewing habits thus strong mandapals. The claims are thay attack mite bodys vs ankle / leg biting
    Thank you for that . Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    f

Ian there are some interesting things afoot on the Canadian scene. I'm guessing there will be lots of interesting bees with known traits going forward. I haven't checked but it wouldn't surprise me if some queen lines of the Saskatraz bees had the biting trait. I've heard rumours of it. Maybe talk to them.
    Iharder, yes indeed. Saskatraz is a true survival project but with a mixed bag of results. Natures direction isn't exactly the direction we need her to go. But into the mix we may find something promising.
    Ray Oliveraz called me a while back and spoke about these bees. He's breeding them for sale. He sounded optimistic as he sounded as he had seen some interesting promise. But looking for serious feedback on their performance. Like mentioned above, there are complementary compounding factors involved, we gotta just put those blocks together.
    Last edited by Ian; 02-17-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Check out the article below. Purdue has been selecting for biting. I got two last summer, gen 1 daughters from last year's II breeders. They will bite your hands and pull hair too. They winter with a smaller cluster, consume less over winter, gather more nectar, cautious but quick spring buildup. Great here in zone 5, and should work well in most northern climates. I'm told they don't perform as well in southern climates. From what I saw last summer and fall, they were more apt to jump off the frames onto your hands, but never stung. They dropped to a smaller cluster than I'm used to, and did this a bit earlier than the other hives, but still made winter weight. At about 75 lb they peaked and we're steady. I fed them to 100 as usual, but don't think that was necessary. They have only consumed about 30-50% compared to my other hives. Their clusters are still smaller, maybe even about half, but they are holding size better so far. Best of all, mite counts are lower even before treatment, by half or more. They aren't immune to mites but hold them back pretty well.

http://www.beeculture.com/breeding-m...ontrol-varroa/

Dr.J, thanks for that
    Do you own a microscope?

Squarepeg, my bees exhibit quite a bit of mite biting traits. Put a sticky board under some of your colonies including the queens from my line. I think you will find several of them chew up mites.
    NW Alabama, 47 years, 22 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Dr.J, thanks for that
    Do you own a microscope?
    I have a good low power USB scope but haven't used it on the mites from these hives. This is on my list this year as I evaluate them in their first full year. The scope I have should easily show the lost legs.

They will bite your hands and pull hair too.
    I just asked a forum member about this behavior yesterday and wondered if there was any correlation in regard to mite biting. I have some bees that do this. Doesn't mean they bite mites, but cool to know someone else's bees are doing this. It can be quite uncomfortable at times.

cool to know someone else's bees are doing this
    yes it its....last fall I had one get inside my vail and kept biting my ear..... I was a bit taken back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast