Default Box makers - frame rests, yes or no?

So far I have always used metal frame rests in all the boxes I have made, mostly because it's 'normal' to do so. I'm in the process or making a new batch and wondered how essential they really are. If you just leave the frame rest rebate bare, do frames get stuck to an annoying degree?

Thanks for any opinions.

Rob

Default Re: Box makers - frame rests, yes or no?

I've never thought about it so I guess it doesn't matter.

I used to use them but I don't any longer EXCEPT I have a few boxes that I made myself and the frames just barely sit on the rabbets. For those, I've placed frame rests in them which helped hold the frames better. The problem I had with using rests was that it was difficult to scrape them clean without tearing out a staple or nail. I found that not using them was cleaner (no critters getting under the rests) and easier to use without a significant amount of wear on the rabbets. That's just my experience.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

This has been My exact experience too! But frames do come out a bit easier with them.

Interesting! I've always used the metal L rabbets and never had a bit of trouble with them. I think it's easier to scrape/clean the frame rest with these.
    Regards, Barry

It seems to me that the shape of the frame tab influences sticking more than the surface of the rabbet.

We have a few 7-frame spacers for honey supers. Frames do come out easily, but there's no sliding them to the side with the notched metal spacers. We're more comfortable with removing a side frame and then sliding each remaining frame over before removing it, to lessen the chance of rolling bees, particularly rolling the queen.

If you folks are describing some other type of metal frame rest, could you point me to a reference?

Regards, Barry

way back about 1965 i deceided that i like metal frame rests a lot. they take time to put in. i used both nails and little screws [ a total pain] at one time or another. if i come across a box without rests then they get installed along with fresh paint. i have never gone for the spacer type. i run 10 frame deeps but a few only have 9 frames in them. boxes hold up much better with the frame rests.

Thanks for the various takes.

I'm referring to a metal (or sometimes plastic) reinforcement that protects the rebate which the ends of the frames rest on. The flat kind seems common, e.g.
    http://www.betterbee.com/wooden-hive...frame/MFR1.asp

..but I have also used metal ones that have a J profile. With these, the area in contact with the frame is reduced, so they probably slide more easily. However debris does build up behind the 'rail' with this type. I was just thinking of simplifying things and doing without them...

Despite blizzards and huge amounts of snow here, the bees all seem OK.

Rob

That is them But they are a little cheaper at Mann lake.

https://www.mannlakeltd.com/metal-frame-rests-10-pack

Click on the picture at this link to see the aluminum frame rests used in Europe. https://www.imkertechnik-wagner.de/s...5-mm-hoch.html
    NW Alabama, 47 years, 22 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

the plastic rests do not last more than a couple of years. it is the labor of putting them in that is the cost not the rests. i used metal sears [root or dadant] years ago. now mann-lake. no complaints, they last a long time.

They are ok until the frames get glued down real good and the metal rest comes off during a what you thought would be a quick inspection. Then a couple nails or staples are left sticking up in the way. Then you have to remove them with bees in the way. Too much trouble in my opinion. Robert

I have some old boxes that I picked up somewhere and refurbished. They had very solid frame rests made out of stout metal. I left those in. They were the J kind as well and yes, debris and propolis got in the groove and needed to be cleaned out sometimes. BUT, they hold up well. I think I have more problems with how flimsy the new ones are than I do with the idea in general. I also found that stapling them in, especially if the staple sets just a little too deep, makes them very prone to loosen up after you use them for a while.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"