Default Can a new hive be used w/ a pollen trap

from a nuc or new package

How realistic is it that I'd get a good amount of pollen off of a new hive (from a nuc or new package) and not mess up the bees too much.

Default Re: Can a new hive be used w/ a pollen trap

It is most likely as a package or nuc is growing into a colony "" the demand for food is quite high compared to the foraging force,, ie off balance. . Suggesting pollen traps would be detrimintal during this growth period after the colony matures. Could be possible , but i have no knowledge of your flows in indo

I have read several people that pollen trap established hive can notice a difference in build up. If you do this to a new hive you will likly case delay in build up.

A small amount for you personal use? If so then I would feed your bees, syrup and pollen sub to get them to size quicker, wait until mid summer and then collect some pollen. I would not tax the hive too much and try to offset it pollen sub.

the answer probably depends on how readily available the pollen is in your area and the type of trap. If you chose to put one on later in the season, once they have drawn comb and brood, you would need to watch the pollen stores inside to make sure they are not in a deficit. I have some colonies that are consistently pollen bound because they want to collect more pollen than needed, so those are the ones that get the traps on them. I run the front entrance types that don't strip all of it off.