Default Feedback on Push in Cages

Anyone have thoughts on push in cages. Are they worth the time when introducing new queens?
    Thanks for your feedback.

Default Re: Feedback on Push in Cages

Quote Originally Posted by HoovesAndHoney View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on push in cages. Are they worth the time when introducing new queens?
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Depends on how big the colony is, how long they've been queenless and time of the year. All things being equal, I'll use push-in cage for all my introductions after hearing Michael Palmer describe their usefulness.

Easy to make and easy to use with great results.

I have used them and had 100% acceptance. They are easy to make and I think are the best way to introduce a new queen to a established hive. Also, when I have requeened I spray some sugar water mixed with Honey Be Healthy on the frames to change the scent in the hive.

If not made well or installed properly they can result in failure. Perhaps in certain circumstances they can be very beneficial, but I've found that in most cases (excluding big changes in genetics) a standard queen cage with candy release is sufficient. I even introduce all my II queens with either a jzbz plastic cage or California mini cage with a 3-day candy release.

Michael Palmer has a great video on requeening and one of the fundamental steps is to assess the receptiveness of the colony by placing the cage on the top bars and observing the response. I've come to believe that this initial reaction to the queen is a primary indicator of success.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

What is best way to get queen into the push in cage without losing her?

Thumbs Up Re: Feedback on Push in Cages

The only problem I've experienced with the push in cage is that small hive beetles can pass through the #8 wires. Then lay eggs unencumbered by nurse or worker bees. Best to use a push in cage over emerging brood so there is some pressure on the SHB and their eggs. Here is one introduction done with emerging brood, but the SHB, their eggs and larvae would have been less of a problem with faster emergence of nurse bees. These pictures were after three days with cage in place.

IMG_1126.jpg IMG_1121.jpg

You can see the SHB larva, the start of slime, and holes in the cappings where the SHB have used their ovipositor to penetrate the cappings while laying their eggs. The bees cleaned this up quickly. I killed a few SHB outright when I removed the cage.

IMG_1120.jpg

This is another shot of that frame showing more larva (if you look, you will see some very small larva). Larva kept crawling out of the cells for about ten minutes. I think the light made them move (just a guess). Anyway, I mashed at least 50 larva in those ten minutes with a twig that would fit into the cells. Was a great lesson.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Thumbs Up Re: Feedback on Push in Cages

Quote Originally Posted by jsbrooks View Post
    What is best way to get queen into the push in cage without losing her?
    Take the frame (without adhering bees) into your car, or inside a closed building and put her on the frame and cover her with the cage. If she flys, at least she is confined and you can catch her. She probably won't fly, but if you pre-position the a queen clip (in case she does fly), the frame containing emerging bees, push-in cage and caged queen in advance, it will go more smoothly as you release her onto the comb. If you release her near some open honey (you can spread some on the comb to entice her), she might be interested in that honey enough to put the cage over her with no fuss.

P.S. The queen is extremely sensitive to the heat of the sun, if you are in the car, keep her out of the sunlight...she can die within minutes in the hot sun.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

What I have done is put the small queen cage (with the queen and attendants) under the large queen cage, press into the comb, and use a dental pic to remove the cork only end. I place this on a frame that has some capped/emerging brood and leave for about 7-11 days. The emerging brood under the cage will readily accept the new queen. What you want to look for is if the other bees are trying to "bite" or show aggression to the queen under the cage.

Thank you. That was my only concern is transferring her with losing her. I know Palmer likes to catch by hand and transfer her. I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by jsbrooks View Post
    Thank you. That was my only concern is transferring her with losing her. I know Palmer likes to catch by hand and transfer her. I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that. Thanks again
    Yea. Sucks losing her. Do it in the cab of the truck

Here is a really good queen introduction post on using the candy plug method. To me using the push in cages just adds another chance for something to go wrong such as the queen flying away.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...roduction-tips
    Troy 7/12 -6 langs T