Default Tips for a new outyard?

So I'm opening my first outyard this year. I'm hoping to move around 5 nucs there after they expand out of my queen castles and grow them into a few production hives and at least two over winterd nucs for next year if the area pans out. I currently have three healthy hives in my backyard which I admit I baby a bit. I have gate access to the new yard whenever I need it, but don't want to wear out my welcome visiting the hives too often, i dont think the lawn chair pollen gazing is going to be an option like it is in the backyard. Does anybody have any tips or tricks they have learned over the years to streamline and make yards efficient and smooth running? Watering set up? fencing? Equipment storage? Tips to keep landowners happy other than honey bribery? I'm sure there are things I'm missing. Thanks!
    Last edited by Nhaupt2; 02-16-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Default Re: Tips for a new outyard?

May not be what you are looking for but one of the most important things is be sure you can drive up next to the hives and drive there when you want to.

We have several out yards, and there are a few things we have learned. The easiest way to keep people happy, is to actually talk to them. More times than not, the landowner will see you working the bees, and will want to come and ask you what your doing, why your doing it, and will often ask if the bees are dying at an alarming rate, and about CCD. Just being friendly to people goes a long way, and a few pounds of honey here and there helps.

For water and fencing, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Bees will fly a 2.5 mile radius for pollen, nectar, and water, so I wouldn't worry about water. As for fencing, unless your trying to keep something out, then talk to the landowner about what you need, and don't be afraid to compromise. For equipment, we bring everything we need to each yard, and always have a weed eater in the truck, to touch up around the hives.

In the future, the best thing you can do, is to get a list of things that you need to have for every yard you keep bees in, and then explain that to potential landowners. You did good making sure you can get to the yard whenever you need to, but it still doesn't hurt to give a new yard owner a call every once in a while before you show up, saying your checking the bees. Being upfront and honest is the best policy when dealing with people.

Good Luck with the New yard.
    Robbie

Nhaupt2,

I have a bee yard near my house in town and a summer out yard back in the mountains. Both of these require solar powered electric bear fences which are not cheap to build. Also when I go to my out-yard, which is a two hour drive, I must be sure to have everything in my car that I could anticipate the hives needing (extras and spares) in the next 30-60 days because I don't go very often.

Steve

Don't tear up two track roads or fields when its muddy. That can sour things fast. Keep things neat matters a lot to one landowner. Common sense mostly.