Default Have your bees won the Darwin Award for this year?

Registration is open for the Illinois Queen Initiative workshop in Chicago. If you are tired of buying bee packages year after year or would like to supplement your honey production sideline, consider taking this workshop. The class is on Saturday, April 29, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the North Park Village Nature Center, 5801 N. Pulaski, Chicago, IL. The nature center is nestled in a 155 acre wooded area isolated from city noise. The only qualification to take this class is two to three seasons of beekeeping and the desire to do some basic homework reading before the class on the various queen rearing techniques.

We are expanding our program for the Chicago area by holding an indoor class room setting followed up by an apiary workshop 4 to 8 weeks later.
    We will cover 5 major queen rearing methods in the class room as well as genetics and selecting for the best breeding candidates.
    The apiary workshop will cover:
    • Setting up cell starter boxes and cell finisher hives
    • Timing boxes
    • mating nucs
    • queen introduction methods
    • Hands-on demonstrations of sampling for mites
    • Reading bee temperment
    • Handling and marking queens
    • Handling and inserting queens and attendants into cages
    • Setting up a production schedule for those in the group wanting to become producers
    • Over wintering nucs

The registration fee for the workshop is $75 per person for current members of the IQI. Non-members registration fee is $100.00. Once we have received your payment you will receive an information pack by email. This workshop meets the course requirement for experienced beekeepers wishing to become queen producers listed on our website.

To sign up or for more details go to http://www.illinoisqueeninitiative.com/iqi-classes/

For inquiries contact:
    Garry Grube
    Chicago Director
    Illinois Queen Initiative
    Skype hotline at: (309) 533-7331
    garrygrube@gmail.com

Default Re: Have your bees won the Darwin Award for this year?

So when are you going to have a workshop on the I.I. process?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    So when are you going to have a workshop on the I.I. process?
    Probably never. I.I. equipment is expensive and it takes a lot of dedication to master. And though there is more control there is also the collection and storage of sperm. If I were breeding in large numbers I'd rather control the outcome using the moonlight mating method. The queens would most likely be better mated without the potential of damage associated with artificial instrumentation. Here is a complete description of Moonlight Mating if you are not familiar with it. Search Youtube for John Horner queen mating as well.

I.I. would be for raising breeding stock. Larger numbers would be daughters raised from the breeders and open mated.

Yes, that is true. I like to use I.I. for the breeders first follow by all daughters so that the drones will
    be from the same source. These drones carrying the mite fighting ability will dominate the local DCAs coming
    from all hives including the breeder and production hives. The goal will be Cordovan with mite fighting ability here!
    I don't think the I.I. process is expansive. It is the beekeepers who are making it more expensive than needed to be.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?