Default Anyone know swarm dates for Alabama?

I live in chambers country right above lee county

Default Re: Anyone know swarm dates for Alabama?

Well, Shucks! I thought Lanett was in the northern tier of counties ... Good thing we have maps on the internet!

I will expect to to see swarm cells in my hives in March, maybe
    April. This year, probably early March. (north central Alabama)
    Some folks were talking about having multiple queen cells & doing splits recently around the Alabama/Florida state line, so if you are thinking of putting out bait hives, now would be a good time.
    I have only collected 2 swarms, one off a fence post in June, and one was in a bait box I was bringing in for the season in late July.. Good Luck .... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

I am in Covington County, which touches the Florida line. I found capped drone brood and queen cups in my hives this past Sunday. So I know I will have drones flying in the DCAs no later than 2 weeks from now. Does not necessarily mean "swarming," but my bees have started to turn their thoughts toward reproduction.

im about 5 miles from the Al line and ive got a lot of capped drone brood in my 2 hives and a ton of capped worker brood. got my first "swarm" call of the year yesterday that turned out to be a little water meter box cutout but there was new white comb and nectar in there. no drone brood in the cutout though.

Quote Originally Posted by jakec View Post
    im about 5 miles from the Al line and ive got a lot of capped drone brood in my 2 hives and a ton of capped worker brood. got my first "swarm" call of the year yesterday that turned out to be a little water meter box cutout but there was new white comb and nectar in there. no drone brood in the cutout though.
    You guys don't see any AHB in Cantonment do you? I have heard that AHB like water meter boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I am in Covington County, which touches the Florida line. I found capped drone brood and queen cups in my hives this past Sunday. So I know I will have drones flying in the DCAs no later than 2 weeks from now. Does not necessarily mean "swarming," but my bees have started to turn their thoughts toward reproduction.
    I've kept bees in Covington County for a good number of years not uncommon for them to swarm as early as January.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    You guys don't see any AHB in Cantonment do you? I have heard that AHB like water meter boxes.
    not any that I know of. this is the 4th cutout ive done in a water meter box in 2 years.

Looks like based on previous posted swarm dates in Alabama, next week or 2 is about the time when y'all start seeing your first swarms... http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Alabama/page4
    Good luck!

Here in west Alabama, near Columbus, MS, I start seeing the first swarms around the end of March. In a "normal" year mid April is when heavier swarming starts. I think it will be earlier this year than April.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."