Default Recommended places to acquire observation glass?

So I have decided to take advantage of the observation windows that have been previously cut into my hive. It is based off the beethinking hive and the observation window is 45 inches in length . Home Depot and Lowe's only carry their glass in 36 inch increments...... any suggestions of where to get the glass?

Default Re: Recommended places to acquire observation glass?

Welcome to Beesource!

Have you asked either Lowes or HD to cut that glass? My local Lowes has a glass cutting station/booth set up & they will cut glass to size. If that doesn't work out, virtually any local glass business can cut glass.

You could even buy a glass scoring tool for a few bucks, and cut your own glass. Its not difficult once you understand how to do it.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Glass-Cutter/50113194
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yes, but their maximum length is 36".....I need 45".

I don't know if you would consider "not glass". Lowe's and HD both sell a lexan-type plastic window material in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.

Yes... it will scratch eventually, but it will never shatter if you strike it with a hive tool. My instinct is it would be better insulated as well. I bought some and then never installed a window so I have zero experience with how it would hold up.

Food for thought. They sell that stuff near where the screen doors are... You can cut it with a utility knife, or with a table saw with the blade mounted backwards (hitting the plastic with the back of the teeth instead of the front).

Quote Originally Posted by beardedhoneyhive View Post
    Yes, but their maximum length is 36".....I need 45".
    Oops, I missed the significance of that the first time around.

If you don't find a longer piece readily available elsewhere, using two shorter pieces butted against one another is an option.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

That's what was planning on doing, but I wasn't sure if that was just be considered sloppy on my part and which I would regret! ������ but since you suggested it, I might consider it,

From what I've read, it scratches easily and becomes cloudy. I actually have pieces of plexiglass at home but people seem like they enjoy the glass better!

If you have a friend who does stained glass you could join the two pieces of glass in a bit of lead came, or use copper tape and solder. You could also make a wood muntin and join the glass in it.
    Bill

Call your local glass company or window company and they will cut you what you want.

strongly suggest you don't use glass. It breaks. Use perspex(trade name) or polycarbonate. Comes in various thinkness and usually comes in 8 x 4' sheets.

All of mine are real glass (5 full size hives) and I use 1/4 inch glass from my local glass supplier. Costs me less than $10 for a 6" x 40" piece of glass. I usually buy a few of them at a time. Plexiglass will scratch and yellow over time, and I frequently scrape the wax and propolis off my windows.

Here is how I've found the best way to attach them with minimal pieces sticking up. https://www.facebook.com/topbarbeehi...type=3&theater

Instead of butting 2 pieces of glass together, you would be better off putting a wooden "stile" in there, creating in effect 2 windows. It would be easier to caulk the glass to wood rather than another sheet of glass. All your joints would be much more secure. (If you are a good woodworker, you could rabbet all around both windows for extra security... to lock everything in place.

|-----glass------|X|------glass-----| Where "X" is a wood divider you inserted, and the 2 glass sections are like 21 or 22 inches long.

I still recommend "not glass", a heavy-duty shatter proof plastic. You should look at what the big box stores have.

If glass: years ago I built a TV console with smoked glass doors. I had a toddler with a "big wheel" at the time, and I was sure a disaster would happen. I used an extremely tough tempered glass from "Onedayglass.com". I was very pleased at the price, the shipping, the excellent packaging, and how they cut the glass exactly to dimension (I think they guarantee to within 1/8 inch or something). My toddler is now 15, and the table still looks terrific. My experience was years ago, but they could probably give you a 45" piece of tempered glass, if you didn't want to use tough plastic.

Thanks
    Mike (the AvatarDad and some time woodworker)
    Last edited by AvatarDad; 02-15-2017 at 05:37 AM. Reason: sentence clarity

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    All of mine are real glass
    Ruthie and I were posting at the same time, and her post would have affected what I said.

If Ruthie says "glass", use glass. Reason: she almost always knows what she is talking about, whereas I often do not. My advice about stiles and rabbets still stand, however, for spanning a big hole with 2 pieces.

I used lexan in mine. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the sun is what discolors the plastic type glass. Mine are now 5 years old and are as clear as when I installed them. I cut all my lexan on the tablesaw. It's very simple to work with, but so is real glass if you have the proper tools.

I'm a fan of real glass also, but nothing less than .25". It's pretty sturdy at that thickness though a bit heavy. I have scrounged all of my glass and the local glass shop cut it to size for cheep. It doesn't matter much if it's old glass that might not be pristine, 'cuz it's gonna get all gunked up anyway.

I attach mine in a similar way, into the routed depression. Warning - my hives are 48" and I got a bit crazy with 44" glass. This large a hole on that side makes it weak, so in the future I won't go over 40", I think.

Tool tip for topbars - the standard hive tool/pry bar is a bit heavy for this work, I find the little 7" pry bars are perfect and not heavy enough to break anything if you slip. I use a serrated bread knife to cut attachments and it's light and can't do any damage either so I don't worry about the fragility of glass 'cept when I'm moving them empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Apismellifera View Post
    Tool tip for topbars - the standard hive tool/pry bar is a bit heavy for this work, I find the little 7" pry bars are perfect and not heavy enough to break anything if you slip.
    "standard" hive tools didn't make the cut for me. I use a 5-in-1 painters tool for lifting and separating my bars. I especially like the pointed area to break apart bars or squish hive beetles. I had my son put a sharp edge on it that I use to cut the comb free or scrape down the wax off the sides of the hive.
    5 in 1.jpg