Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Styro Mini Mating Nuc

To stock the minis I try to shake in at least a couple cups to get them going. While working the yards I'll shake off some surplus strength from boomers. I use a planter pot, hole cut on one side. Simply tap tap tap a few frames into the pot then shake the bees out of the planter pot through the hole into the mini.
    Very quick and slick

Wow, great thread. Fantastic pictures too. Thanks to all who have contributed.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    What is a bee suit? Time to get decent bees, no suit necessary then.
    Right up until you hire an employee, at which time it becomes required by law that employees are provided with appropriate protective equipment. Not providing bee suits for employees working hives opens one to huge liability concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Right up until you hire an employee, at which time it becomes required by law that employees are provided with appropriate protective equipment. Not providing bee suits for employees working hives opens one to huge liability concerns.
    I guess I work the law and practicality lol

Ian are the minis with the drawers from mike at bee maid and does anyone have any us sources for these? I have looked but all are from over seas. Ian are you using mann lake styro minis, apidea, or beemaid? Or all of the above ? Ha

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Brad Bee, I have not wintered these small units but it sounds like an interesting project. As long as I can get them through until End of April to when I'll have a place for them.
    I built my mini's a little differently last summer. Divider in a deep with 20 half size frames. I've got follower boards that let me set it up as 10 frames on one side, or split the side to make 2 units of 5 frames each. To build them out, middle of July last year I did a shook swarm. This is what they were looking like a few days later:-

I didn't bother with foundation, just starter strips on the half size frames. We built a 1 inch shim for this setup, and in October I packed the shim with damp sugar. For the first winter test, I left them set up with one colony on each side of the divider, 10 mini frames for each. We started our spring bee work this week, and both sides have a viable colony working in there. Next winter the experiment will be to keep it split 4 ways, and have 4 queens in for the winter.

I wanted a little more room than the tiny minis for each unit, I think they will hold longer and I cant always work in a tight schedule. I was also thinking the larger frames makes it feasable to try wintering these units, and so far it's worked. We often find a drone layer when we do the first round of checking brood in March, in years gone past that's been a death sentence for the colony because we cant get mated queens at that time of year. Going forward the plan is, we'll always have some spare laying queens in the 4 ways, so that's a problem that just goes away. A happy side effect of wintering a few in these units, they will already be populated with bees and brood when it's time to start planting cells.

The only real problem I had getting this setup going was to get comb in the foundationless mini frames the first time around. I set the box on top of a fairly strong colony to start, but they didn't go up and start building comb. ofc, with the odd size frames, it wasn't possible to bring up a bait frame. After wasting 3 weeks that way I got frustrated, and did a shook swarm from that same colony into the setup with a feeder on. they went to town and started building comb like gangbusters at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanhogan View Post
    Ian are the minis with the drawers from mike at bee maid and does anyone have any us sources for these? I have looked but all are from over seas. Ian are you using mann lake styro minis, apidea, or beemaid? Or all of the above ? Ha
    I actually have no idea. Mike at www.beemaid.com will help you out for sure
    They are tucked away. I just call them my minis

G, I know of guys here that do exactly that. They will let the queen wander up and lay all through his mating frames and then simply strip the boxes, assembly line sort into the mating boxes and send them out to the mating yards with cells to start off the season.

It's a fantastic idea but I'm not organized enough to do this. Drop of the hat, shake 10-20 minis fits my bill a lot easier

What paint are you using on these mini nucs?
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free

I just buy a bunch of off spec exterior spray paint. Looks like they need a new coating.
    For what it's worth...;
    Blue boxes mate the best, followed by yellow and white. Greens typically suck...
    who knows..,

Picked up my incubator today, looks sweet

That's a nice looking incubator. GQF makes nice products.

I just gotta ask about the paint again. Is what you are using solvent or water based. I would hate to melt the minis I have. I will be using blue since you have recommended it.

Likely solvent , some of the cans are rust paint

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post

I just gotta ask about the paint again. Is what you are using solvent or water based. I would hate to melt the minis I have. I will be using blue since you have recommended it.
    I find minis painted with water based colours get mold more quickly and therefore they are hard to keep clean. Solvent based paint form harder surface, I suppose, mold does not stick to it so bad.
    TF since 2008, max 1 nuc/hive, no swarm collecting, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html, YouTube juhanilunden

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    I find minis painted with water based colours get mold more quickly and therefore they are hard to keep clean. Solvent based paint form harder surface, I suppose, mold does not stick to it so bad.
    I remember getting a styrofoam cup to put a bit of gasoline into to use on a wasp nest... the bottom melted before I could use it. I am leery of melting my nucs with paint. I guess that I'll have to just try what I have on a small area and see.

Thanks for the help Ian. Today I painted my styro minis with industrial Rustoleum brand paint. The paint was a bit old so I had to thin it with mineral spirits so that it would brush on. I had no issues with it trying to dissolve or haze the styro. The best part is that the paint is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    industrial Rustoleum brand paint
    Could you post a link to the paint you used? Getting clear information on which paint to use on these minis is difficult.

Thanks
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Could you post a link to the paint you used? Getting clear information on which paint to use on these minis is difficult.

Thanks
    No problem.. I used the paint in a gallon can because it was what I was gifted. Rust-Oleum Stops-Rust Protective Enamel
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...tective-enamel

I do not know how well the paint will adhere to the styrofoam. Time will tell.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast