Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ProVap110 video

Default Re: ProVap110 video

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Ian and others. The unit looks tidy and I think would be a good fit for the 100-1500 hive outfits. Assuming it is durable I would consider it a bargain.
    Some of the larger outfits are buying several and sending the crews out to various yards to vaporize. Compared to VM vaporizer (which is about 10 seconds faster per hive but with no measured dosage / hive ) and at about $4500, several ProVaps are inexpensive.
    If something goes wrong with the VM, you have no backup. With several ProVaps, you're still vaporizing. As to durability, it's rock solid. If it should break (other than being run over or just carelessness) the entire insides can be swapped out in about 30 seconds.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by marios View Post
    Ian just bought one myself are you planning on drilling 1/4 hoes in your boxes or using an entrance board with a 1/4 inch hole , plan on testing it out on friday, A friend wants to make a handle extension, he doesnt want to bend over 2000 times he said
    I bought one too Mario . I will be running mine through the top entrances when things start to warm up a bit.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

This one looks cool! I wonder what the juice in the bottle is? OA? Looks real fast and furious. Might be a little dangerous to your health, fire hazard.Probbaly kills lotsa mites
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_kGbaFMoA

Nick. Never an tell what you find on youtube!

after further consideration, looks like amatraz and fgmo. Not good!
    nick

I wonder what is causing the fogger to flare up like that, The only thing I can think of is his propane container being full allows liquid propane to the jet if it is tilted too low. These guys seem to use ethyl alcohol to dissolve the OA so I wonder if its not possible to ignite the fog. They don't seem to worry about that.
    Johno

can you use a truck battery with inverter bungied to a hand truck in fields; instead of running off your truck ?

Quote Originally Posted by manddhoney View Post
    can you use a truck battery with inverter bungied to a hand truck in fields; instead of running off your truck ?
    Yes, the drawback to a portable 12 volt portable battery pack that also has an AC inverter is limited run time.

The 12 volt vaporizers typically draw in the range of 160 watts, the ProVap is 250 watts (plus some overhead watts consumed by the inverter itself). So one might get around half the runtime using an battery/inverter powered ProVap compared to a 12 volt vaporizer powered by that same battery pack. That is why I suggested that an inverter be used with a running engine. OR Just use a small generator. I saw the generators at Harbor Freight today for $89!

Last edited by snl; 02-17-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: correct wording

Gosh, Larry, that line sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Gosh, Larry, that line sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it!
    No sense reinventing the wheel!

I do not quite agree with Larry about the power draw, first the wands run 2 to 3 minutes per hive the band heater type maybe less than a minute per hive so theoretically you should be able to do at least the same amount of hives with the band heater type as with the 12v type now of course if your band heater is only about 150 w then you are still better off. The other consideration is that the 300w device is temperature controlled and between hives will switch off the power to control the temp. FWIW.
    Johno

Most of Larry's comment was 'borrowed' from a post I made in another thread, here:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...94#post1511794

I am referring to the power (watts) drawn by the respective devices, over a fixed period of time. I agree that the actual number of hives that may be able to be vaporized by each device within that fixed time period is not the same thing as the 'run time' of each device.

The 12 volt vaporizers that are operating from a portable battery pack are in a different market segment (and price range) than the ProVap 110 that requires 110 volts AC. The point of the ProVap is to vaporize a lot of hives in a relatively short time period (compared to a 12 volt model). And if you want to vaporize a lot of hives, a portable 'jump pack' is a poor choice compared to a 'engine driven' portable power source (generator, 'running' vehicle, etc [or powerline AC if available]).

FYI, Larry's 'compressor' reference above is a typo. He meant "generator" (as per a PM).

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-17-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    The 12 volt vaporizers that are operating from a portable battery pack are in a different market segment (and price range) than the ProVap 110 that requires 110 volts AC. The point of the ProVap is to vaporize a lot of hives in a relatively short time period (compared to a 12 volt model). And if you want to vaporize a lot of hives, a portable 'jump pack' is a poor choice compared to a 'engine driven' portable power source (generator, 'running' vehicle, etc [or powerline AC if available]).

FYI, Larry's 'compressor' reference above is a typo. He meant "generator" (as per a PM).

That may depend on the 12 volt machine. I used the JB700 last fall. In a short day I was doing 250 hives in five yards spread over 80 Kilometers. If thay were in one yard I think 500 would be a number you could do. I was getting about 80 hives per battery.

Quote Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
    That may depend on the 12 volt machine.
    Yes, I was referring to the 'pan style' vaporizers. But also the 'run time' of a vaporizer powered by a battery is highly dependent on the capacity of the battery. The post where I originally wrote my comment (that Larry 'borrowed') was with respect to a Sears/Kmart portable jump pack combo air compressor. I highly doubt that a device like that will do anywhere near 80 vaporizations on a single charge.
    Graham

Picked one of these up from Mann Lake a few weeks ago. I remember seeing a video of one about a year ago and couldnt find it again, then stumbled into it. This thing is absolutely awesome!!!!! I was REALLY pissed off with the lega and was planning on using multiple varrox vaporizers at a time this year. Not anymore

A syrup pump and this provap 110 is really going to help me expand my beekeeping operation with the limited free time I have. I suppose ill be able to manage 1/3 more hives with these tools

I think this thing is great. I use a Varrox, but would use this if and when I get above a certain amount of hives. Time being money. Also treating through a small hole is genius.

I was envious watching.

We have been using oxcalic vapour for several years making several rounds during the winter while the bees are broodless. Our first unit was built by Cor DeWit from Alberta. It started breaking down after a several years but we where also looking for somthing faster at that point. We then used temperature ajustable Dewalt heat guns for a year. They still where not fast enough and we where not sure it worked to well. We did get the mite count down but it seemed inconsistant.
    I went to the meeting in Texas this winter looked around and bought a Varroa Cannon (simular to the VM). Really liked that I could adjust the temperature and the parts are simple. I can change them in the field if I need to. (we carry a extra thermocouple and heater with us).
    My understanding is that when you get OA too hot you change it to Formic Acid, Carbon Monoxide and other thing that are not OA so we run around 170C. We do get a build up of crud in the area where the OA boils that has to be cleaned out after about 16 hives. After seeing the ProVap video I did some testing. If I run it at 230C I produce clouds of vapour and get no crud build up. Which leaves me wondering which temperature is best? The mites where still dropping till about day six after the first treatment when we had it set at 165C. The second treatment only dropped a few mites. We managed to do 568 hives in 19 different yards in a day with two guys. If we did not have to clean it out we could be faster and more consistant. What advice do you fine people have? This may have been discussed before I have been away from the forum for awhile.
    Albert

Ya your right 220 cooks it out real nice, the temp drops to 195 , vapour slows down,
    Zero residue after burnt out with the ProVap

What is too hot ?

Medhat the PA from Alberta cautioned me several years ago about going over 160C. When I talked to him about this machine he said running it arouind 170 should be fine. We did not have a along time to talk so I did not get a chance to ask a lot of questions.
    I do not care if I have to use twice as much acid to get the mites to drop. The OA is not expensive. I use 99.6% pure costs about $100 for 25KG. If I can turn up the heat and still be effective more consistant and faster I would be happier. I could also trust that my guys could use it by themselves.
    Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke'm View Post
    Medhat the PA from Alberta cautioned me several years ago about going over 160C. When I talked to him about this machine he said running it arouind 170 should be fine. We did not have a along time to talk so I did not get a chance to ask a lot of questions.
    I do not care if I have to use twice as much acid to get the mites to drop. The OA is not expensive. I use 99.6% pure OA costs about $100 for 25KG. If I can turn up the heat and still be effective more consistant and faster I would be happier. I could also trust that my guys could use it by themselves.
    Albert
    Temp has been discussed here on Beesource so I'm sure someone will chime in.
    I used the VM last fall, that unit sure blasted out the vapour, I'm sure it was over temp... but I really don't know because I had no way of knowing what was happening on that machine. It killed mites , lots of mites.

This ProVap is nice because dose can be exactly controlled and temp can be exactly controlled. 220 is the preset and suggested temp to sublimate

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke'm View Post
    I do not care if I have to use twice as much acid to get the mites to drop. The OA is not expensive. I use 99.6% pure costs about $100 for 25KG. If I can turn up the heat and still be effective more consistant and faster I would be happier. I could also trust that my guys could use it by themselves.
    Albert
    So, what do you actually buy for OA ? Is it from a hardware store for wood bleach ? I have been looking for a cheaper source for it
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast